Hot Rod Forum banner

Original body or steel repro? How can I tell?

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  silentpoet 
#1 ·
I found a 1933 Ford 5 window coupe I am thinking about buying. Seller said the body is original Henry Ford and the frame is TCI chassis.

How can I tell if a steel body is Henry Ford original on that rod or simply a steel reproduction? What would give it away?

Thanks for your input.

See a couple photos of the rod here:

http://www.bettatalk.com/learning.htm

#2 ·
Generally you can tell just by taping on it with your finger if the owner doesn't mind. If it is a solid thump it's probably glass. Look at the firewall, most glass cars do not reproduce the look of an original steel firewall. Get down and look under the fenders, if they are glass you will be able to tell. If the car has the rear fenders and running boards as one piece with the main body...run from it as fast as you can. It is probably a Streetbeast body :pain: .

Vince

#3 ·
Higirl said:
I found a 1933 Ford 5 window coupe I am thinking about buying. Seller said the body is original Henry Ford and the frame is TCI chassis.

How can I tell if a steel body is Henry Ford original on that rod or simply a steel reproduction? What would give it away?

Thanks for your input.

See a couple photos of the rod here:

http://www.bettatalk.com/learning.htm

At the moment I'm not aware of anyone making steel repros of the 33. There are repos of the 32 and Model A but not of anything newer.

#5 ·
So otherwise no way to tell them apart? Settle differences? Maybe a body mold discrepency??

But I guess if only one guy makes the steel body repro, I might be in good shape. Somehow I have felt that an original Henry Ford body on an upgraded repro frame would be the best of both worlds... Your thoughts?

(I was told old frames not made as well as our new repro frame, hence te need for many reinforcements, X member, boxing etc...)

#6 ·
Really....its all just a matter of what you really want. To me...it does not matter for a hot rod if its a original body or a re-production steel or glass. For a hot rod just go for the look that you want. Now...its a different story if you want a all original classic car to re-store that you are not going to rod. The coupe that you are looking at has a aftermarket frame and everything is modified etc., etc.........so what difference does it make whether the body is original or a re-production? None that I can see. It just boils down to if you like the car or not.

#7 ·
To my knowledge nobody makes or has made a 33-34 five window coupe steel reproduction body and they certainly didn't make one 20 years ago. An easy way to check if the body is steel or fiberglass is to use a magnet. It will not stick to a fiberglass body. Most rodders don't appreciate a piece of metal on their car though so make sure to put a piece of cloth between the magnet and paint. Even if it is a fiberglass body I think if the car is good shape that is still a reasonably price for that 33.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Opinion (another one)

Henry Highrise said:
Really....its all just a matter of what you really want. To me...it does not matter for a hot rod if its a original body or a re-production steel or glass...
People get all hung up on original vs repro. Sure it's nice to tell someone that the car is "all original". If you can believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you (sorry the Florida land was sold last year). Ol Henry only made just so many cars and since there was World War II and a Korean war that scrapped a lot of these cars for bombs plus a lot of circle tracks that ate up a lot plus the fact that when they wore out, they were pushed into a ravine on the farm - no one cared - they weren't worth anything then. A 50 year barn find is becoming a rarity. So, what you have are a lot of excellant (and some not so excellant)fiberglass replicas being built now. The steel cars currently available have become rusted hulks, and if street rodded, most likely have 'glass or repro fenders, new grilles, new floorboards, etc, etc, etc. About the only original cars that there are still a fair number of are the '30-'31 Model A's along with a few '28-'29's. As far as Chevys and Mopars, lotsa luck. Sure, i'd like to find another '37 Hump for $8.00 or a '37 Club Coupe for $45 or a Duece for $35 - I owned 'em for those prices and sold 'em at a profit (all in the late '50s). Now they are 'nonuptanium'.

Street rods are what you make of them and are your personal statement - regardless of whether it is steel or fiberglass. I only have a problem with "almost repros" like Street Beasts, but like I said, its personal. Have a blast :D

#9 ·
A 50 year barn find is becoming a rarity. So, what you have are a lot of excellant (and some not so excellant)fiberglass replicas being built now. The steel cars currently available have become rusted hulks,

Well........... not exactly.

Guy I grew up with, his grandfather bought a '32 B-model new.

This guy's dad still has the car and it is not a rusted hulk. It's an original, UNRESTORED car.

And yes his dad knows the car is worth more then $100 just incase you're wondering???

#10 ·
Higirl said:
.......But I guess if only one guy makes the steel body repro, I might be in good shape......

Not to worry. The car you're looking at is a coupe and the repo bodies are only available in roadster versions at this time. Chances are 99.99% that it's an original Henry Ford body.

#11 ·
rj57 said:
Well........... not exactly.

Guy I grew up with, his grandfather bought a '32 B-model new.

This guy's dad still has the car and it is not a rusted hulk. It's an original, UNRESTORED car.

And yes his dad knows the car is worth more then $100 just incase you're wondering???
Whoopee ????

Do you not understand what I said - I said "rarity" NOT impossible.
Most field finds are junk and crappy rusted hulks that require more work than the average joe can or wants to do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.