original color. does it really matter? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 05:25 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

original color. does it really matter?

some people dont want to change a stinkin thing about the way a car came from the factory. in concourse you get marked down for it if your car isnt it's stock color.

Does anybody out there actually really think a car is worth less if it's been painted a non original color. i'm not talking pink or lime green here. the car to the right is almost but not quite original color but a million times better paint. i am not talkin about it tho, i'm talking about my gold camaro. i have a white interior with brown carpet so i have seen black camaros with white interior that look great, and know yellow or orange or red would match the brown dash as well.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

***k the factory boss, paint that sucker HOK rootbeer with big nasty flake with silverwhite flames. That would beat any factory paint 100 to 1.

HK
Old 09-08-2003, 06:00 PM
a.k.a. Rusty Shackelford

Last journal entry: Another one
Last photo:

I've seen pictures of that HOK root beer. It looks cool, not like you would expect brown to look. I would rather see a car painted HOK root beer than MGD light beer.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:53 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Paint the damn car and be happy with it, it's your car anyways. While you're at it take care of the interior too, cause last I knew white with brown carpet/dash is goddy and deader than disco.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:26 PM
I fight what you f33r!

Last photo:

speakin' of the root beer color, Indian Larry (the bike builder) just did a bike in that color for the Great Biker Build-Off, it was BEAUTIFUL!!
Old 09-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Bull, if your not going to show it in the Concourse De' Elegance then paint it the color you like. It's your toy, enjoy it the way you like it.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:31 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

WELL thats just it, i could, cause it, like my tempest is 100% original. but i havent even seen any car shows around here that even judge concourse so it's kindof a waste. i guess i hadnt decided on whether im keepin the camaro or not. but now i am, it's at the body shop right now getting a new taillight panel installed from the insurance money i got for getting rear ended. almost the same price as for fixing the old one, and every tail light was rusting out of it. he's just going to repaint the ***-end gold for now, he's too expensive to have paint it right now. when that day comes i think i'll go with orange. but i havent seen that root beer you are talking about yet tho. HK could you give me a link to it??

went to HOK's web site, didnt help. might not be working right now

Last edited by bullheimer; 09-09-2003 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

We, the colorblind Americans, think color is a state of mind. Do what your mind tells you!
Old 09-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Maybe it's just because I'm younger, but I don't really understand the "fresh off the factory floor" restorations. To me, there's nothing too cool about a stock car, other than they are the cleanest automobiles around. But IMHO, with that much attention, a set of rims, lowered and a clean looking engine bay look 1000 times better. The same for the paint! There's a ton of great looking colors now compaired to the 60's, so why not take advantage of them!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:31 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

yeah i have to agree, hence the 95 Ford Medium Calipso vehicle to your left. i guess i really need to pull my head out. or that i'm looking for justification not to be trying to save my money up for a 5000 dollar paint job i dont need. i want to keep this car, i have just been trying to figure out if i can. i need my stupid financial adviser to get back to me. he's gonna tell me if i have to refinance my house or not. btw, on the HOK site there is a lamborgini that looks to be rootbeer. pretty cool
Old 09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Bull, I'd sayif there was any chance at all you were going to the Concourse with it. I'd stay original all the way, then when the time comes your ready Freddy! If not it's a huge outlay of cash for something you don't really want. It's your call.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Bull, I'll see if I can't dig up a good shot of it for you, send me an e-mail, I think I might have one.

HK
Old 09-10-2003, 05:46 AM

Last photo:

There was a saying for painting a restoration car.

1. Paint it the original color.
If not.
2. Paint it an original color that is what you like.
If not
3. Paint it red.
If not
4. do what you want.

Thought was the restored car was worth most exactly how it left the plant. If that color was not attractive than painting it an original color would make the car look all original till numbers where decoded (or find VIN later that fits your vehicle!) If that did not work than paint it red. Red cars sell faster! Lastly if you just want it a color than do it!

There was a debate about all the 1930's luxury cars painted pretty fancy colors. People would paint their expensive cars to match the advertisements back then. Fancy oranges and other bright colors. The debate is that most of those cars were painted less eye catching blacks drk greens because of the economic situation (depression).

If you are building it for yourself do what you want! if you are building to sell-don't!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.