original gas tank/sending unit - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 01:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

original gas tank/sending unit

I removed the original gas tank from my 48 P/U and it appears to be in pretty good shape inside and out with the exception of the wire going to the sending unit. I cleaned the tank up, painted it and am coating the inside with sealant. My question is about the sending unit. It doesn't look bad mechanically but not sure how to hook it up as it's 6 v. Are there more modern sending units that would bolt up to this tank that I can use or how do I go about converting to 12v? Thanks in advance.

barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Don't know if this will help if your talking chevy pickup?
http://www.oldchevytrucks.biz/catalog1/0109.html
http://www5.mailordercentral.com/rbs...item=2&mitem=8
http://www.chevyduty.com/
Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Zonk,

I coated the inside of the tank last night with sealer and made the decision to buy new guages, when I get that far, and use the sending unit that comes with them. Later.

Barry
Old 09-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Sender

Doc here,

Voltage is NOT an issue on the sender..Resistance is...

The sender is nothing more than a variable resistor (the arm / float assy) mounted on a center wiper (the fuel pickup or sender mount) works like a volume control on a radio..

The signal processed through the sender to the gauge is ground and a variance to ground from the arm..to the Whetstone bridge internal the fuel gage..

a whetstone bridge is a perfectly balanced network of 4 resistors, (shaped like a triangle on paper anyways..) The Network is coupled to the gauge (a wound coil and PM ) which straps across the total network, and power, the missing equation is ground...provided by the sender..The more ground (low fuel) the more unbalanced the bridge..the resistance of the gauge trys to compensate for the balance by more current to the meter coil (hence ..meter movement..) Same applies the other way..

When you get your sender, be sure it is Comparable to the Gauge resistance you are using..(new or old)

The more important and most overlooked item is a GOOD tank to frame ground..Remember it sits on rubber straps, The filler floats on a rubber grommet, and if a rubber hose is used anywhere in the line (like at a fuel filter) the tank has no ground.

To test an old sender, use a DMM set for R x1 on the ohms scale, clip a lead to the sender terminal and the other to metal ground..raise and lower the float assy, Depending on your sender it should read between 0 to 30..0 to 60...0 to 90..up to 270 ohms..It should operate smoothly , (no meter jumps or dropouts) as you raise and lower the arm..

The only other test is the float itself..is it filled with gas? does it float in a bucket of water? If no, get a new float or sender.

Doc
Old 09-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfieldcars
I removed the original gas tank from my 48 P/U and it appears to be in pretty good shape inside and out with the exception of the wire going to the sending unit. I cleaned the tank up, painted it and am coating the inside with sealant. My question is about the sending unit. It doesn't look bad mechanically but not sure how to hook it up as it's 6 v. Are there more modern sending units that would bolt up to this tank that I can use or how do I go about converting to 12v? Thanks in advance.

barry
update your project journal
Old 09-28-2005, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

Doc,

Great explanation on bridge! I doubt if too many people have heard of it before. I guess the reason I mentioned all this was because in "old" gauges didn't they just use bimetal strips to move the needle? If so, given the same resistance (the sending unit), and moving to 12v from 6v would make more current flow and produce inaccurate readings. Thanks

Barry
Old 09-30-2005, 12:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Bi metalliac

Doc here,

Barry,

You are absolutely Correct!!..

Given todays Vehicles..Totally inaccuracy's would exist..big time!

I almost completely forgot about the bi metallics , since it's been years Since I worked on a set..

Last one was on a 50 Ford Sport Coupe I had ..on a 390 transplant where an inline once lived..The goal was to keep it looking stock...

They are also prone to Other inaccuracy' s they don't exactly tell ya about..Like the Illumination lamp heating up the Cluster pot and mount and adding a bit..or direct sunlight "Creep"..

The addition of Computers sure have changed the way we think ... Even in cars now...we tend to forget the "Basics"..

Doc

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.