OSPHO & EPOXY PRIMERS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 10:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

OSPHO & EPOXY PRIMERS

I Have Been Told That Ospho And Epoxy Primers May Have A Chemical Reaction Resulting In Proplems. Because Of A Time Delay From Media Blasting To Applying The Primer I Need To Seal The Metal (fl. Humidity). If I Use Ospho Can Any One Recomend An Epoxy Primer That Will Work Okay. What Else Might I Use To Seal The Metal For A Couple Of Weeks Until I Can Applyan Epoxy Primer??

Thanks
Andy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

If it were my car.

Due to time delay I would leave as is parked in garage and when ready to epoxy, I would sand the whole thing with an 80 grit DA clean with wax and grease remover and spray the epoxy (two coats)

No epoxy does not have a problem with the acid as long as the acid is neutralized properly. Dried films (not properly neutralized) of acid cause problems with everything from filler to epoxy to 2K primer to acid etc primer. Adhesion and curing.

Save your money and forget the acid.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:27 PM

Thanks Barryk

I Think You Are On The Right Track. I Can Keep The Media Blasted Parts In My "dry" Shop As Well As Covered With Moving Blankets. I Don't Think They Will Devlope Enough Surface Rust That A Little Elbow Grease Can't Take Care Of Prior To Priming. I May Even Put The Parts In An A/c Controled Room. I Just Worry About Any Kind Of Rust.

I Think There Are Primers That Are Not Effected By The Ospho But The Primer Of Choice Is Ep. Correct??

Thanks Again
Andy
Old 04-14-2006, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

You're right Andy, epoxy offers the most compatability and durability. Just make sure you get the metal cleaned and textured before you apply the first coat.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:50 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Once the vehicle, whatever it is, is media blasted, it won't really take that long to sand it with a DA using 80 grit to prep it for Epoxy. Well worth the amount of work, to have the correct starting point for the rest of the repairs and finishing.

Aaron
Old 04-15-2006, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

don't use Ospho (search the knowledge base)...it's a last resort "try" to slow rust on parts that can't be blasted/sanded etc (inside "A" pillars?)

Barry's correct, leave it alone, (April's pretty dry) the day you spray sand all with 80 grit if it's only 2 weeks approx

if I have to leave bare sheet metal for more than a month (in August!) and do some handling/fitting...I do spray it with a light coat of Duplicolor rattle can "self etching" primer....BUT... I use the green color as a "guide coat" to sand back to bare with 80 grit the day I spray the epoxy

(ha!...did get one past the wife once....she never did find the parts stored 6 months under the beds in the A/C cooled house)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.