Hot Rod Forum banner

The Ospho Solution opinions and remarks, no tech value

7K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
DBM Thanks for the starting the new post. There should be a topic on this... The videos are great. :thumbup:

#2 ·
I believe that you believe in what you are doing. I am glad you have the drive to stick with your position. Please keep going on this post and let it run it's course. I am watching with interest and may use your techniques on my 1st project. I am your target audience. An everyday Joe with an average car that I just want to try some common sense stuff on.

I have been in the role your are in on other forums and it isn't always fun dealing with the flak. A forum is supposed to be a place where you can state your opinions but so can others. Good luck!

#3 ·
Good stuff DBM, very informative thread going on here. Whether or not I agreed with you on the product, doing it, abusing it, THAT tells you more than anything.

Using a product exactly as they say, hell we all know that works. But if you try a little off the tech sheet just as MOST guys will do while trying their best, THAT is what is telling.

Good stuff.

Brian

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks Brian ,but I can't take ALL the credit... I'm getting lots of input on writing and different tests to make.Not to mention without your help at improving my typing skills I'd still be pecking away with one finger and doing something like this would be impossible.I may have received more help than any other member with a variety of things I really gotta hand it to HR and its moderators and members for all the help with this thread and especially my car.I think my fitment here at HF is going quite well :mwink: and I'm much better off than I was a year ago... :sweat: Thanks guys... :welcome:

#5 ·
Your writing skills and more importantly converting the thoughts to words (I like to call them "squiggly lines") on the screen is REALLY getting good. :thumbup:

Brian

#6 ·
MARTINSR said:
Your writing skills and more importantly converting the thoughts to words (I like to call them "squiggly lines") on the screen is REALLY getting good. :thumbup:

Brian
Mike,

I totally agree with Brian, you have come a long way with your written communication skills! :thumbup:

And thanks to you, Brian, Randy Ferguson and John Kelly along with many others for thinking about and supporting the low buck DIY guys like me who take pride in saying that they did the work themselves rather than writing big checks to the "PROS" to have the work done. :thumbup:

and remember...
the paragraph is your friend! :D

Conrad

#7 ·
Conrad_AZ said:
and remember...
the paragraph is your friend! :D

Conrad
LOLOL, yep, I know it isn't "Proper" english but I will make MANY paragraphs when I write so I don't scare the reader away. :D He figures "Well, I have time to read this one paragraph" then he gets thru it and thinks "that wasn't so bad, I'll read another". :D Sort of like how a bag of chips you really don't even like that much get eaten.......one at a time. :D

Brian

#11 ·
deadbodyman said:
thanks to "cobalt" I can make a paragraph now...
.. by hitting "enter" and the long button that makes a space. :mwink:
Or just hitting "Enter" twice, that's my 'lazy' way of doing a paragraph w/o "indenting". lol

I'm very pleased for you at how well the tutorial's coming along, and how it's being received- Good Job, MO, and everyone else, too!

#12 ·
red65mustang said:
to all:
a request....

there are alot more testing posts DBM plans to add to this thread presentation...

let him complete his presentation and testing un-interupted so his thread posts are as contigueous as possible...

thanks,
red
I will edit this thread to rid of the clutter when I have some extra time. :D

#19 ·
This thread is simply awesome. I have been stalking this board and others trying to learn about paint and prep, but with so much information, and some of it disputed them minute its posted, I felt like my head was gonna explode.

I am restoring a car in a carport and rusting of my repairs is a big problem. It's demoralizing to see something you patched in covered in rust even after you rattle-canned it or sprayed on some weld-thru primer because it has been sitting for months. I've been wondering what to do about the situation. Strangely, this is the first time I've also seen a clear sequence from bare metal upwards all in one place.

Unless I have misread:
Remove loose rust, if any
Ospho, wipe off excess
Sand/scuff Ospho when paint time comes.
Use Grease/Wax remover to clean off residue.
Epoxy prime. Let dry (but not fully cure?)
Apply body filler, sand and smooth
Use Grease/Wax remover to clean off residue.
base coat?

Is that right?

Thanks again DBM! PS: Your writing skills have incredibly improved!

#20 ·
Pontiac_Judas said:
Is that right?

Thanks again DBM! PS: Your writing skills have incredibly improved!
OK,OK, enough about my writing skills or lack there of,LOL. Ya'll r makin me feel like a real idiot,now :sweat:
You got everything right...except always, always let the epoxy fully cure before applying the filler.
BTW your situation is the #1 reason for using this.... :thumbup:
I'm not done yet though, we still got to get the serious rust done ,its a whole differnt process,and a lot of dirty nasty work....so far this is just the easy stuff....Heres an example of what can be done in your garage at home.

Attachments

#23 ·
Hey Dead,
That's a cool ride you have there :thumbup: , what's the engine for it? RED was right, we probably should refrain from adding comments until you're finished; I couldn't resist. Should we have another thread called "ospho solution questions and comments"?.... Just a thought ...Anyway, Great job and a sincere thanks for your time....after all YOU already know how to make it work, lol.

#25 · (Edited)
62galaxiguy said:
Why does the owner of SPI (barry k) say in his tech sheets "do not use any metal treatments with my epoxy primers?
For the same reason I'm writing this thread ....SOOOO many people had bad results and problems with adhesion.

Here's an old thread (5yrs ago).look at post#3 http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/compatability-spi-ospho-74054.html
At the time of this thread I was already using Ospho for over twenty years...

He got so many complaints he just recommends NOT using it.(I asked him the same question a year ago)
I know Barry gets swamped with phone calls about this stuff,But if he so negitive with his comments on the subject I never would have wrote this.
It's just mt attempt to set the record straight...Hopefully this will help HIM as much as it helps the DIYs

As you guys can see its not that hard to use and adhesion is NOT an issue if used properly.
Personally,I believe the primer sticks BETTER with Ospho....But his primer is also very good....so far I just cant PROVE it sticks better...
But thats NOT why I use it... as you can see ..it does stick at least AS good.

Its very important to wipe off the excess and sand before primer....
The first thing you'll notice is how much more filth comes off the metal after you think it's clean (sanded with 80 gt) that alone amazes me every time I use it.

#26 · (Edited)
Hwy, It may be hard to believe, but that old Plymouth is the SOLE reason were having this discussion today.
My son came down to Ga. to live with me and had an interest in cars so I started searching for a cool looking one we could build from the ground up that was was in very rough shape because I hate chopping up a valuable rare car.
I saw an ad for a 48 ply biz coupe and thought we would go look at it (I always wanted a biz coupe)Well, from the road (1000') it looked Sooo cool I didn't think THAT was the one for sale.
Anyways when I saw the look on my boys face (a 15yr old future hotrodder :drool: ) he said : That cant be the one!!!! HE loved it too.
Well, it WAS the one... we bought it and the change in him overnight was simply amazing.
He went from sleeping till noon and getting waited on hand and foot to waking me up at 5:30 every morning and making breakfast for us,just to go to the shop and work on that hopeless rust bucket.We got very close that year ,we got it sub framed and running using junk yard stuff I had laying around (mostly camero stuff)(below is one of the first pics of the car after a years work)
well, his old girlfriend called and wanted to hook back up again, she called him every night and he got Love sick and moved back to NY.
I worked on that car every spare minute I could (in secret) to show him what can be done if you stick to your dream and don't give up.

two years later we were talking on the the phone and I told him I had been working on that car all this time and it was in primer now.I had just got a deal on a fresh 350 so I got in and started it up with the open headers.He got all excited ,he couldn't believe I was working on the car all this time and never told him.....
Well to make a long story a little shorter ..He wanted me to join the human race and get an email address to send pics and vids ,I did, but for some reason I wasn't able to send them (files to big) So he told me to join www.streetfire.net and I started learning how to use the computer.One day I pecked in "Hot rod" and stumbled onto this site...I joined and right off I got into an argument with Barry an a few other members about Ospho,got suspended for two weeks and the rest is history.that was a year ago
I saved the thread to remind me from time to time.http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mas...st-pitted-surfaces-154053-11.html#post1114939
keep in mind I had no idea who Barry was. I came onto this site recommending ,mainly two things SPI and Ospho...Shine told me who it was I was telling didn't know what heck he was talking about...LOL ...ONE thing's for sure Barry and Shine and I might just be the three most stubborned dinos here.at least NOW I can use this thing a little better ,,,no machine will ever get the best of ME,LOL....BTW, my wifes friend said it looks like the police were dragging a lake for a body and this was pulled up.thats when I got the unusual nickname DBM.....I hope Ya'll liked my little story,long in the tooth as it is... :D :D :D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.