Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Ospho Solution..(rust removal)
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

CB,check the dates in post#39,LOL... the 1/4 as really been done for 5-6yrs unpainted just epoxy and its outside most of the time.not even the slightest sign of rust.
I guarantee my rust work for five yrs but it has to be brought in when it starts ...so far Ive never had one come back.

I've seen one car I restored for a friend in Fla. ,(a 69 camero) about twenty years ago and it looked like it was a year old paint job,but he took good care of it and keep it in the garage when he wasnt driving it..that makes a big difference.
The way I look at it ,On the east coast cars can rust within five yrs when new, so anything over that is great.
You got to remember with heavy pitted rust there isn't much metal left.the best thing is to replace it.(but that gets expensive) or clean up the rust (like my trim holes) and glue some metal to the back side for strength.
can you see the patch covering the holes from the inside? (the first pic below) I made the bottom of the 1/4 myself.It would have taken less time to replace the1/4with a good one but I couldn't find one plus the ones I found out west were to expensive I would have had to replace the whole body ,then I wouldn't want to make all the changes to the things I didn't like.Like the taillights and everything from them down.Working with metal is a lot of fun.I made the whole bottom 12" of the car by hand rockers and all.the roof was rotted with holes I repaired that with Ospho too its been two years now and still looks great but some day it'll start rusting again...it has to... its just the nature of metal to return back to its natural state.
But....I built this car with less than a 1,000.00 in cash and did most of it in my driveway... Dont ask how many hours .. I dont have a clue. I did it for fun.

Dont get me wrong Ospho wont solve all your rust problems.
any rust on the lower 12" of your car should be replaced with new metal but above that repairs will last a lot longer.
For example: if you have a rust hole at the front and back corners of your door ,chances are, the middle will rust out shortly to so dont waste time fixing that replace the whole door bottom.same with the rockers...

I guarantee no shop would fix my car at any price ,you have to enjoy this kind of work to do it.I wouldnt do this much work for anyone either.
I will admit I'm tired of working on this car and all I want to do is drive it now.I wont be painting it until next year...
Then ,I'll give it to my son........Maybe ,at least thats been the plan all along.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6611 (Small).jpg
Views:	562
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	45055   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5244 (Small).jpg
Views:	554
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	45056   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5245 (Small).jpg
Views:	513