Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Ospho Solution..(rust removal)
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks - I was such a "freak" regarding treating bare metal that if I ever had small areas of sand through when doing bodywork, I'd wipe a little ospho on until I could get back on the job (sometimes not until following weekend) ... these would be the problem areas, I've learned my lesson. I'll use ospho once or twice for maintaining bare panels until I am ready to prime. I typically like to plan on shooting multiple panels at the same time as I have to plan my days around weather, neighbors, etc so the ospho helps me "maintain" some integrity until I can shoot. If the product is used correctly, it is a life saver for guys like me that take a loooong time to complete their project. I would like to use the SPI but I want to know for a fact how to correctly prep the ospho'ed metal before application. I use the PPG product because I know there are no issues with the ospho as it's basically the same as their green DX520 (phosphoric acid), and they instruct to scuff residue and shoot their epoxy primers over the prepped surface , gives me some peace of mind knowing there shouldn't be any compatibility issues here .......... I'd try SPI but they don't seem to condone and definitely don't recommend, acid preps .... while PPG does (DX520 and DP primers).