The Ospho Solution..(rust removal) - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Mike, do you have new links for your videos, they seem to be dead?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
boatbob2

ospho....

hi,on that matador,Ospho would work great, using a spray bottle,spray the entire top,(in the shade if possible) walk away,wait a couple of hours,top should be black,or a white powder in places,re-spray it,go back next day,spray small areas,and while wet,i use a 3m gray pad,and sand small sections,after top is completely sanded,,wash with soap and water,dry GOOD,(very good)use grease and wax remover,then spray your 2K primer.then go on to the next section.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
hi,on that matador,Ospho would work great, using a spray bottle,spray the entire top,(in the shade if possible) walk away,wait a couple of hours,top should be black,or a white powder in places,re-spray it,go back next day,spray small areas,and while wet,i use a 3m gray pad,and sand small sections,after top is completely sanded,,wash with soap and water,dry GOOD,(very good)use grease and wax remover,then spray your 2K primer.then go on to the next section.

Just like to add, after doing all this I still had powder that didn't come off. I used a wire wheel in a drill and got a lot more powder off that didn't appear to be there.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

If you want to remove it you have to rinse it while it is wet and active. If you have to rewet, then it takes a few minutes to get active with the dry stuff already on there.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibulvr
Hey Mike, do you have new links for your videos, they seem to be dead?
I'll have to try something different I down loaded them on streetfire.net and they keep getting deleted...I'll work on that..any suggestions???? I have a few more rust vidios to add also...
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I'll have to try something different I down loaded them on streetfire.net and they keep getting deleted...I'll work on that..any suggestions???? I have a few more rust vidios to add also...
Too bad streetfire is blocked from work. Can you load to Youtube?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM
boatbob2

rust removal.....

Hi,after the ospho dries,when im ready to prime,that white powder is present,usually not all over,but in blotches. i re-wet USING OSPHO,then using a 3-M grey pad,i sand the snot out of it.wash the part,with soap and water,DRY GOOD (to prevent flash rust) i usually put the part in the north Florida sun,to let the dampness evaporate, then prime using a 2K primer. i just finished 2 panels,that were very rusty,surface rust,with some deep rust (not rust thru) i did the rust removal as i said,and primed them,you would NOT believe how nice those panels came out.ive tried a bunch of different ways,to remove rust,with OSPHO ive never looked back,(wish i owned stock in the OSPHO company)....
Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34
Too bad streetfire is blocked from work. Can you load to Youtube?
Sure ,I dont see why not..Thats where I should go then????

Puggs, I'm not sure how you started or anything but after sanding with 80 grit its very important to get all the contaminets off with afew applications of wax& grease remover sopping wet rags.Ospho wont remove oils and other contaminets..then scubb it in good with a scuff pad for clean metal and light surface rust,The heaver the rust the more agressive wire wheels you need and you'll need die grinders , side grinders and big 5"cups for pitted stuff a drills rpm is way to slow to be of much use. have you had any other problems after you got the powder off???? BTW,what I think happend was sometimes in high humidity it'll turn to a powder but its usually greenish...A second coat will remove it back to shinny clean something esle that might have caused the white powder would be not wiping enough off before it started drying...
Theres always some powder when I sand it ,it is a coating after all..
I wish you Pm'd me when you used it,A ton of people do I'll even give you a number to call for help...This is an important first step and it needs to be done right I'd hate to see anyone have any problems.....
Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,after the ospho dries,when im ready to prime,that white powder is present,usually not all over,but in blotches. i re-wet USING OSPHO,then using a 3-M grey pad,i sand the snot out of it.wash the part,with soap and water,DRY GOOD (to prevent flash rust) i usually put the part in the north Florida sun,to let the dampness evaporate, then prime using a 2K primer. i just finished 2 panels,that were very rusty,surface rust,with some deep rust (not rust thru) i did the rust removal as i said,and primed them,you would NOT believe how nice those panels came out.ive tried a bunch of different ways,to remove rust,with OSPHO ive never looked back,(wish i owned stock in the OSPHO company)....
I wish I had some stock too. you got any pics Bob???
Old 05-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Michel, Youtube is the one I can access. I used to have access to streetfire til we got a new netnanny here at work. At home, I don't have time to get on the interweb. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us all on here.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM

You tube it is then...
Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I wish I had some stock too. you got any pics Bob???
And some stock in SPI and Hand kind ,now theres my three favorites..
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM

Last journal entry: getting started
Last photo:

Ok I'm lazy and don't want to read every thread...

What do I do with the areas (nooks and crannys) I can't reach with the sander or sand blaster? Can I soak or spray the areas with the ospho and never think about them again? I am almost ready to shoot the SPI, but painting inside frame rails, enclosed rocker panels and behind door jamb probably won't get paint! Any advice?
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM
boatbob2

nooks and crannies.......

Theres not much else you can do to the places you cant blast,i would OSPHO the crap out of those places,2 or 3 GOOD coats,THEN TRY to spray primer in there........
Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white72gs455
What do I do with the areas (nooks and crannys) I can't reach with the sander or sand blaster? Can I soak or spray the areas with the ospho and never think about them again? I am almost ready to shoot the SPI, but painting inside frame rails, enclosed rocker panels and behind door jamb probably won't get paint! Any advice?
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry's right there isn't much you can do.what would do is (lets say a rocker or frame rail) is make a hole (the right size for an undercoat plug) and use a wand to spray the ospho in there real good (drench it) Then using the wand blow air all though it kinda blowing it around everywhere in the nooks and crannys,and pushing all the to the other end where it can drain out...then do it all the other way,repeat blowing every 15min so none of the ospho collects in pools... blow it out maybe two more times (until it stops leaking out) and let it dry for a few days to a week ...prime with a wand then some rubberized undercoating ,I hear a lot of guys like bed liner....THEN walk away and never think twice about it ,you did all you can do and it'll probably still be around for the grand kids

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.