The Ospho Solution..(rust removal) - Page 28 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2013, 04:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Pat I'll be trying that sweatshirt trick tonight,I'm getting ready to do the other fender with your stuff.....Will a new hard rock cafe tee shirt work insted, I seem to have one full of holes

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,246 Posts
Thanks guys. I did not mean to hi-jack the thread but it clicked with me when Mike mentioned he had fooled with electrolisis that he could shed light on that. I realize this thread is about Ospho and acid products which I have used over the years. The channels that run across the floor pans are loose from the car. I did one with Rust Mort which actually did a good job but it was labor intensive. Pat's idea of using flannel makes sense in order to keep the product working. Since the channels are long and narrow, you could probably wrap them in Saran Wrap to further keep them wet and let them sit over night.

Pugs, I know the molasses is an alternative but don't want to get too far off the track on Mike's thread.

Tanks again guys.

John
Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM

John,or any body for that matter..Theres no such thing as hi jacking here. This thread did start out as an Ospho users thread but its evolving into something else mainly getting that dang rust off your car and keeping it off whats best to use where and what tools work best and which ways are cheapest and fastest....
I'm surprized your rust mort worked so well it didnt when I used it but it was a pretty old bottle now that I think of it....
then theres uncle Pats private stock that were testing out and it seems to work well also...
the only reason I cant tell anybody how to use them all corectly is because I dont know I only ever used Ospho and the electrolytic which is by far the easiest way to remove rust on certain things
.vineger ,molasses, coca-cola ,battery and nitric acid anything that wasnt made specificly for rust removal I could care less about and so should you but were all here to learn something and theres more that one way to get a job done and done quick and well .so many people were having trouble I just had to start this thread ...even my way has evolved since the beginning so if anyone has something to contribute good or bad ,please speak up.
Nobody wants to spend hundreds of hours and dollars bringing a body back and have the paint peel off because of a simple mistake it can happen so be careful with acid...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
John long (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

I guess hard rock T shirt would work. Why don't you wait for your wife to fall asleep and steal a towel. She will never know. Saran wrap is a good idea also.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
I guess hard rock T shirt would work. Why don't you wait for your wife to fall asleep and steal a towel. She will never know. Saran wrap is a good idea also.
Hmmmmm. You think I should steal my wife's Saran Wrap while she is asleep. I had better leave her the towel.........
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

The nice thing about Saran wrap it's invisible so she probably won't even realize you clipped it P M me I got some extra junk laying around you could do some experiments with.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
The nice thing about Saran wrap it's invisible so she probably won't even realize you clipped it P M me I got some extra junk laying around you could do some experiments with.
PM sent.

John
Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
Tonight I worked on the front half of the underside of my roof. I left it undone because I thought I was going to use my donor roof for this. Soooooo, I sanded it to get the coating of Ospho off and some rust. I then took the scruber wheel thingie and worked it to get as much rust off as I could before the wheels pretty much wore out.

I poured some MS rust remover on the left side and simply scrubbed it with a red scuff pad. I kept scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing and noticed that in the middle there was more and more shiny metal appearing. I got my grinder out with the wire wheel and put some on and gave it a whirl, I don't get it. The metal heats up so fast that unless it was under a half inch of liquid it dries it up so fast, you might as well not use the liquid at all, it isn't doing anything in my opinion.

So I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed and this is what I came up with. I did the right side with Opsho, again tried the wire wheel, it just doesn't do anything for me, the scrubbing with a red scuff pad did more.

When I say it "dries up" I am not talking all of it is gone, I mean right at the contact area with the wheel, it is instantly dry at that area, as the wheel moves it may even get wet behind it again, but where the wheel is spinning on the metal it's dry, what's the point?

I am seeing that using the scrubby thingie I got at HF to remove the rust then scrubbing it with the scuff pad is doing the most for me.

You can see that the MS and the Ospho did about the same.

So I took a quick run over to the hardware store to pickup a couple of new things and see how they work. These scuff pads that are MUCH coarser than the red ones, we will see. I also got one of those neat flapper discs to see if that will remove the rust faster.

We will see tomorrow.

Brian
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM

Last photo:

Hello Brian, Run the Wiennie wheal over it then saturate a rag with r/r and walk away. Check it every half hour. If it's not done in a couple of hours there has to be paint under the rust. .Just for the hell of it apply paint remover scrape it off then try the rust remover. That flapper disc you bought is excellent for grinding down welds, don't waste it on grinding rust.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 AM

Brian I made a vidio that shows this and how adress the drying out problem its simple and your going to smack yourself.... until I get it up .think about buffing ...a square foot at a time and if you tilt the roof start wheeling at the bottom it pushes the liquid up and leaves a dry spot so wheel and move to another spot and the liquid goes back down and rewets that spot while your at another spot then you return to wheel again ..you have to move around and do a square foot at a time....
anyway I put another 1 1/2 hours in this yesterday and its done ..for.a total of 5 hrs heavyily pitted rust....
last night I soaked an old sweat shirt with the MS and set it on the other fender ,man this stuff smells toxic...Brian does the Ospho smell bad too I might just be used to it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8948.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	76221   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8949.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	76222   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8950.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	76223  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 07-31-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:25 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

brian, for all you've spent on wonder products , wire wheels and flapper disc you could have bough a couple bags of starblast and a speed blaster. 20 min labor and you'd have nice clean metal . keep it simple guy.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
brian, for all you've spent on wonder products , wire wheels and flapper disc you could have bough a couple bags of starblast and a speed blaster. 20 min labor and you'd have nice clean metal . keep it simple guy.

LOL, yeah but I haven't got a good compressor that will keep up with my blaster and the mess....oh the mess. Tell me, is "Black Diamond" like this "StarBlast"?

Ohhhhh you are talking a "Speed blaster" with a containment system? I was going to pull that out tonight for some of it but those big areas would take forever, more like 20 minutes ever square six inches! But tonight Shine, I will give it a try!

But is the Black Diamond like that Starblast?

http://media.wix.com/ugd/ecfab7_08aa...cc932f1481.pdf

Brian
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

black diamond is more aggressive than starblast. when blasting turn your pressure down to about 40 lbs. does not take a lot of pressure. a 20 ft tarp makes a good containment area and will trap the media so you can recycle it. i'll take the mess of blasting over acid any day. faster , better and less chance of problems.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

I'll give that a try too Shine, thanks.

Brian
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
black diamond is more aggressive than starblast. when blasting turn your pressure down to about 40 lbs. does not take a lot of pressure. a 20 ft tarp makes a good containment area and will trap the media so you can recycle it. i'll take the mess of blasting over acid any day. faster , better and less chance of problems.
Black diamond is really good and available just about everywhere that sell media. I really hate doing it but it is no doubt the safest way. I still wonder if the bubbles on my doors I re painted last winter was from wire brushing them and polishing the metal, not using a coarse 80 grit paper on the bare metal or using Rust Mort on them. Maybe a little bit of all three. We live and learn but there are several things I will do differently in the future that I have done for 40 years.

When I chose my Avatar I put "slow but willing learner" It was not just a catchy phrase. I meant it. I love this place.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.