The Ospho Solution..(rust removal) - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 04:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

deadbodyman-thanks for your insight on OSPHO . I have been using it for about 15 years and it is very good. Used it on Mustang and have not seen any problems.

Jon, thanks for the wiki

However......... what happened to the videos???? If I try Deadbodyman's links, there is a "error trying to access this". If I use Jon's wiki, I get something else.

Thanks
F

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I suspect sabotage..... only kiddin....Jon let me know about it this weekend I got the first two back up.. ....http://www.streetfire.net/video/usin...t1_2050901.htm
http://www.streetfire.net/video/usin...-2_2050902.htm

I'll get the others back up in a day or two....Glad to see someone else has used this for a while too...
Ahhh,freds first post ...Welcome to HR fred

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-25-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 AM

Using Ospho on unrusted metal toget it super clean and protect it from surface rust ....Apply with a red scuff pad (coarse) and scrub it in good,wipe excess off with a paper type shop towel...Let dry 24-48 hrs.....
I'm doing this outside to show how well it works but I recomend doing it inside...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/usin...al_2052564.htm
Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM

Prepping Ospho for epoxy primer

Just sand with 180 on a DA or by hand then scuff with a red scuff pad,clean with wax & grease remover then prime....

Note:if the sand paper clogs or gets balls then let it dry another day

http://www.streetfire.net/video/prep...er_2052572.htm
Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 AM

Ospho adheasion test#1

A few people say it will create adheasion problems but I've used this fot well over25 yrsand never had any such trouble....
It was sugested that I drop a blob of bondo on the epoxy primer as an adheasion test...also suggested was duct tape..I did both tests to both sides
of the hood
Half the hood was treated with Ospho the other was sanded with 80 and primed.
The results are clear...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/osph...-2_2052581.htm
Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 AM

still not satisfied the unbelievers suggested I scratch a grid of squares through the primer into the metal then stick the duct tape on them and pull it off ...I did this to both sides also....

If there are any other questions or tests anyone would like me to try just ask.I'll even make another video of it....

Heres the last test.....http://www.streetfire.net/video/adhe...pe_1994959.htm
Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?

-What-every-new-painter-must-read!

Wrote this a while back and just copied and pasted (parts) to new forum.

READ #2 and #6
Duct tape was not part of the equation.

It does apply to all epoxies and polyesters IE: body fillers, spray body fillers.

Other then that have a riot.

Last edited by BarryK; 08-26-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:38 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

try this one , the other did not work.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?8-What-every-new-painter-must-read!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

didn't work either barry. got a glitch in the new site.

bottom line........... never ever put polyester or epoxy over acid film. period.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM

Thats the whole purpose of the videos and instructions.....
to prove thats wrong......Period....At least as far as Ospho is concerned .
I'm no fan of miracle rust cures, I hate them...these are the tests offered by a couple of members that thought I was full of it ...The bondo test was from a Pro at the SPI form (also the epoxy I use) The duct tape with the scratch grid is (I'm told) a military adhesion test...
I also would love to try any adhesion test you or any one else can can offer up..because after using ospho for 25 yrs I know when there's an adhesion problem. Be clear,I'm not talking about any other product out there but Ospho and Ospho only.....

Ospho works and solves the problems most asked about, such as:
1) what can I do To stop surface rust after I get my car blasted or stripped ?

2) How can I get the surface rust off my stripped car and keep it from coming back ?

3) How can I get rid of heavy ,pitted rust without the mess and expense of blasting ?

How about I give you guys a bottle so you can try it yourselves ,apply it like I said and tell us all your results.....
Old 08-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

I'm sure it works when proper procedures are followed, it's just that guys tend not to follow them, inadvertently make a mistake, or misunderstand the procedure. That's why for most newbies, the path with the least potential problems is best. Even for professionals, usually the fewer products used results in fewer chances to make a mistake or have some kind of reaction or incompatibility.

I'm not intending disrespect to your methods, only stating my opinion.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
try this one , the other did not work.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthread.php?8-What-every-new-painter-must-read!
thsi link works ....

What-every-new-painter-must-read!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Ah, good to see the new SPI forum is up, and it looks sharp! I've updated the link to it on our Master List of Hotrodding Forums.

Also added a link to the "What every new painter must read" thread, in the Phosphoric acid as metal pretreatment wiki article.

And, updated the vids in the Rust removal with Ospho article.

BTW, anyone is welcome to start a "Why not to use Ospho" wiki article. There is criticism of Ospho in both articles, but it seems like a designated opposition article might be warranted.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtech
I'm sure it works when proper procedures are followed, it's just that guys tend not to follow them, inadvertently make a mistake, or misunderstand the procedure. That's why for most newbies, the path with the least potential problems is best. Even for professionals, usually the fewer products used results in fewer chances to make a mistake or have some kind of reaction or incompatibility.

I'm not intending disrespect to your methods, only stating my opinion.
I totally understand the point your making crash,and its with the newbie in mind I made the vids,to show how easy it really is....In all the years and all the primer and paint I've used I've never had a compatibility problem ,it works with everything ... If someone can mix 4;1;1 primer or 1;1 epoxy certainly they can pour something straight out of a bottle ,scrub it in and wipe it off ....Its as easy as using wax & grease remover but even that gets messed up by a few .....Thats why were here right? to help the hobbiest's with there car related problems........
Everyone knows you always sand before priming or painting don't they? They might get the grits wrong but everyone knows to sand for adhesion ...same here ....you always sand and scuff before priming. I think because it drys clear some people may skip the sanding part...but its important...
BTW ,I am a real life painter that makes his living with a gun ,have been for 35 yrs.I've painted everything from dump trucks to show cars ,used about every type and brand of paint and primer,so I'm not some Joe blow from down the street or some guy, bored sitting at his desk looking to stir something up ...I still get down and dirty with the old stuff too ,I dont do just the gravy work and I wont waffle back and forth depending on my mood that day.I mean what I say and I stick to it.and offer proof of what I say the rest is up to the readers.
I dont work for Skyco or own any stock in it ...I simply state the products I use ,why I use them ,Ospho just happens to be one of them ,its also the one I've used the longest .....I'm here if anyone wants to know something about it or has any trouble what so ever with it.
Sorry guys ,due to Canada's hazardous materials shipping laws its not available there,I just found out...
Old 08-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Let me say something here, first Mike (dead body man) and I are friends, we have had lunch together and went two hours and never talked about this subject, smart, as we were both packin. LOL

I like what Mike is doing here as far as trying to teach and he does a good job and that is what these forums should be for and used for.

Sort and sweet, there are probably 50 people on here that over the last few years i has told on the phone how to use Oshpo and one of my previous buried posts, I explained how i use it on small parts.

Here is a copy and paste of what I wrote that every painter should know:

*Never use a metal prep UNLESS you are fully aware of how to neutralize properly.

See what it says? My only disagreement with mike, I understand the tech says its a primer and is self neutralizing, sorry but bull.
Mike believes, the tech sheet, written for field equipment and that is a different type of paint and usage altogether.
Yes it will neutralize when it ages and you can see flash rust.

Anyways, I said my piece and won't interfere, I just hate problem phone calls and we make the same statement about soda blasting, don't use or make sure you know what and how to use it.

Mike, carry on and I will stay away.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.