The Ospho Solution..(rust removal) - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I like the Jasco myself but for the life of me don't know if there is any real difference in the formula.. Tip..get some of the cheap plastic sheets or saran wrap and cover the stripper so it stays wet and it works better that way..

Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

That IS interesting ,they are deffinetly not the same product ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'd like to see that roof being done as I am tackling the same problem myself for the first time, thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM

The roof has been done for a few years now,unfortunetly it was done about the same time as I started using the computor. I posted the pics I had but I never expected so much intrest in rust repairs ...I do need to make some kind of tutoral that'll really help all you guys but as much as I like watching them from other people, making them is a whole different story ,I found out I'm quite camera shy and my voice sounds funny. Basicly I need help and advice...
but if you want to post some pics I can get you through it.It might even be better for others to see a first timer do it because theres a lot of questions that will need answears that I wouldnt think of ,I do a lot things automaticly and just take for granted that everyone knows when they dont...
So what are you working on????
Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

Here's what Im up against, this car has been sitting outside for a couple years, the roof is solid, just rusted pretty bad, just looking for ideas on how to get this ready for paint, I know what you mean about being camera shy, we all feel the same way, I'm sure, i know i can relate
Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The good thing is that's all surface rust, though there will definitely be some pitting. Love vinyl tops (not!!). Only good if you have a carport or garage the car will be in at least 50% of the time.

How you proceed really depends on if you're going to put vinyl back on or not. If you are, you just need to treat the rust that's there to prevent further oxidation, paint, and cover with vinyl. That might be your best/cheapest option right now. Otherwise the rood might require a skim coat of filler, but if you're lucky a high-build primer will fill most of the light pitting and only a few areas will need a bit of filler or spot putty. You'll need a smooth surface to paint and leave exposed, doesn't matter so much if vinyl is going back over it.

Nice Matador Coupe though! I'm assuming it had a vinyl top... looking again at the photos maybe not. Might be something to consider though.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Just a side note here: You are going to have a bunch of sanding to do before you treat with anything, protective breathing device is a must, there's going to be a mess of dust. I'd also follow DBM advice, he's done a lot of rust work, he does it on the budget, and it seems to work. Epoxy primer will be a must, SPI seems to be the primer of choice by the guys here that have used it. Keep us posted please, this will be a good addition to our wiki site here on Hotrodders.com. You have a REALLY cool car to work with, love the so called "Orphan" cars, the old AMC's are tops on my list. De-smog it, pump it up like the pre-smogger cars, you'll have a jewel! AMC used to have a race team back in the 70's that was awesome, red, white and blue paint schemes, loved them. Dan

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/ph...ource=activity

Here's one to practice on: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=amc+m...05&tx=88&ty=71
Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

If going with a vinyl roof sanding will be minimal, and could probably be avoided altogether. But you're 100% correct -- use some kind of dust protection if you do much sanding, especially machine sanding.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:16 AM

AHHHHHH, So THATS a Matador....
Sorry it took so long to get back to you ,the wife got a knee replaced this week and I havent had the time to respond. Heres the main problem,That red primer they used is a lacquer and it can be very thick on a vinyl top car,its the same color as the rust so it can be hard to tell which is which and all that primer HAS to come off....
First you need a 4 1/2 " side grinder with the biggest cup style wire wheel you can fit on it...then start off wire wheeling it ,its going to create a lot of rust dust....This will smooth out the surface quite a bit and make getting the primer off much easier...the best tool for this is the 8" gear drive DA (mud hog we call it) try 80 grit and 36 grit to see which works best...that primer can be a mother to get off and it might even take some lacquer thinner soaked rags layed out over the roof ,kept wet and coverd with plastic or something to keep it all from evaporating.What you want to do is lift a little section of the wet rags at a time and scrape the softend primer off with a raor scraper then use a thinner soaked scuff pad to do the final clean up but wipe up before it drys with a clean shop towel...kinda like using a wax & grease remover ....if you wait to long the primer thats been disolved turns back to primer again ,like I said its a PITAand it might take all day mabee two to get it all off....
Ospho will work great once the primer is off but only then...
Too apply the Ospho ,use the side grinder and wire cup and work it in to the pitts keeping everything wet as you gowork a 12- 24" area at a time ( as much as you can keep wet without it starting to dry.wipe all the excess ospho off that area and move on...
The first thing your going to notice is the rust disolves and makes a red mess just wipe it off and keep wetting it and wheeling it untill it stops then move on to the next section...
Ospho is an acid so watch where the stuff is slinging and where an apron and safty glasses ....
after you finish and its dried it'll start looking pretty good but doing it a second and third time is even better and it gets easier every time too...

when you've finished doing your ospho work and its dried completely all you do is sand it with some 180 on a DA to smooth out any roughness and streak marks,then wipe down everything with W&Gremover then epoxy prime....
if you have some pitts showing use a poly putty like EZ sand by evercoat to fill them its soupier than bondo and really fills the pitts well then epoxy again...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

this car didnt have a vinyl roof, that is rusty metal, from the car sitting outside for years, it's also on the rear decklid, the hood I dont have to worry about as the car did not have one when I bought it. So again it is just rusty metal, i am going to follow your steps for the Ospho ignoring what you said about the red primer and the thinner and stuff then.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

This is probably the best thing I've seen online to deal with surface rust.
I've recently inherited 73 Camaro RS. Man that had it brought it home from California. He passed away and it sat in his garage for a few years till his kid decided he wanted to work on cars. Pulled it outside and put paint stripper all over it.. decided that working on cars sucked and left it outside in bare metal.. it started to rust and that's where it sat. I have surface rust over every panel. No rust through but some pretty nasty pitting, the roof you posted is way worse. I will be trying this solution ( I've made a list of supplies to go and get ) And as soon as I can get the time to do the work, I would love to post my results. I'm a wrench not a body guy so I'm hoping this is something I can get right.

Mike
Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 AM

Absolutly ,post your results ,especially if your having problems ,that way we can get it straight so everyone can learn...
Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Does anybody know where i can find Ospho in the Bay Area, Ca i am eager to try this using your method and tutorial. My 68 mustang sat primered for a while and now i have surface rust i want to take care of.
Thanks
Tony
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 AM

usually you can find it at your auto paint stores or Sherwin willams piant outlets or you can Email skyco an they'll send you some UPS
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMontana
Does anybody know where i can find Ospho in the Bay Area, Ca i am eager to try this using your method and tutorial. My 68 mustang sat primered for a while and now i have surface rust i want to take care of.
Thanks
Tony
I just saw Ospho in Home Depot store

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.