Other Texans - TX emissions/inspection question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Other Texans - TX emissions/inspection question

I went to get my truck inspected today at a Valvoline quick oil change place in San Antonio (Bitters & 281). The guy looked over my '75 GMC very carefully, checking everywhere under it and in the engine compartment. Then he came back to me and said "sir, do you want me to proceed with the full inspection, because I already know I have to fail your truck?"

He stated that Texas inspection requirements changed in late 2010, and now every vehicle needs catalytic converters regardless of age and OEM equipment. I explained that my truck never had factory cats (8200 gvw vehicles did not have them in '75), and it was a classic vehicle that did not have to upgraded. However, he was fully convinced the law had changed and all vehicles now need CATs. I then went on to another inspection station down the road, which passed my vehicle without any problems.

Anyone have an idea what Texas law this guy was misinterpreting? I went to Texas online and can't find any TXDOT inspection rules about hotrods or classic vehicles that changed in 2010.

Thanks,

Bruce

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I try to keep on top of things like this since I buy and sell vehicles as quickly as eating and pooping a cheeseburger.

He's full of s#!t. Tell him you want your money back and go somewhere else.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Cats or not, it's my understanding that anything older than 25 years is fully exempt from emissions testing.

Russ
Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Cats or not, it's my understanding that anything older than 25 years is fully exempt from emissions testing.

Russ
Yup, but the vehicle has to have what on it that it came with from the factory. IE, it if had cats, they need to be there but a truck with 8200 GVW didn't came with cats in 75. Next time some moron tells you that, ask him to show you the book. They all have them and if they say they don't, he's either lying or has no clue. I had a similar problem with a 71 Cuda with headers and no hot air stove. Cars with the fresh air system, fake or real, didn't come with the hot air stove to the carb and the guy got out the book and let me look for it while he went back to work and I found it and all was good after that. Go get your money back and if he doesn't refund it, call the DPS. I did that once way back in 69 over a steering wheel diameter. The shop failed the car because they said the wheel was too small. Told them to show me the book but wouldn't but I got lucky as a DPS officer just happened to show up and I took him about it and he just laughed. He took a look at it and told Sears to sticker the car.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

Look for House Bill 890, I beleive its the bill the Gov signed last year that has the SEMA text in it for Street rods and Classic cars.

Texas H.B. 890
Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

if you look up the inspection guide lines they are pretty simple. just like the cracked windshield thing. there is nothing in the regs about it.
you can get a copy on line and carry it in your car.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
if you look up the inspection guide lines they are pretty simple. just like the cracked windshield thing. there is nothing in the regs about it.
you can get a copy on line and carry it in your car.
Shine, would you happen to have a link to that guide?

Thanks!

Russ

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.