Our Story - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 11:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Our Story

First of all sorry for the long post, I have enjoyed the tips for a long time on the post and have learned allot. I promise never to post this long again on the corvetteforum site I go by smooth72. sooo here goes our story..

You have heard it before finding a perfect 56 corvettes in a barn. This is not that story. It all began as I was going to a meeting with some business associates. As conversations often revolve to either women or cars, this one turned to cars, probably due to the fact women were present. I casually said that now that cold weather is approaching it is time to get back to my project, a 1955 wide window Chevy pickup. One of the men said I have a project for you in my barn. I said surely like I need another project, . . . what is it? I had to ask.
He then told me that it was a total basket 1972 Corvette, and it was. Of coarse as a previous owner of a 79 L82, that I had in college my interest rouse. He had obtained it by buying a house that had been foreclosed. The body was left in the garage and the frame was in the back yard with a fairly large tree growing through the middle of the frame.
That evening I went home to discuss this with my wife and we decided to ask our soon to be 15 years old, the craziest question ever. Yes you guessed it, “would you be interested in a 72 Corvette? “ Of coarse it had some stipulations. First she had to pay half of the cost, and she had to work on the car herself. Despite our hard efforts, it probably would not be done in time of her 16th birthday. We told her that the first speeding ticket she got would be considered a learning experience, but if she got two tickets the car would be parked.
Of coarse with gleaming eyes she said yes and my challenge began. Our logic, if you can use that word, is if she had to work on it, help pay for it, and have something totally unique she would be more careful with it. Also as a restored classic, it would not lose value like a newer car would. By the way my 14-year-old daughter is 5'9" and looks 18, we must be totally insane. All kidding aside, she’s a good student, in honor band, a member of the youth Christian group and has been a good kid.
To say this is a frame off rebuild would be quite an understatement. With no parts labeled, parts missing, bolts missing and did I mention that some one had cut out the interior behind the seats, I have no idea what he was doing. I spend more time researching than I do actually working on the car.
I have found out that people who own corvettes are very willing to help. As soon as a vette owner finds out a fellow vette owner is in distress, they seem to come out of the woodwork. I have had several corvette enthusiasts look at it and all of them have thought that my purchase price of $2500 was a decent price. They said the frame and body was in pretty good condition. The corvette has the 80's shark front with the fins in top of the fenders, fix head lights and it also has the twin turbo hood.
Our goal was to make the vette as dependable, comfortable and fun as possible. What we have done so far is to have the frame sand blasted, welded up, and powder coated. I called up the good people at Vette Brake Products and ordered the works, Performance Plus suspension kit, rebuilt trailing arms with offset, brake kit with sport rotors, yellow powder coated calipers, power booster and master cylinder, power steering component kit, and rebuilt steering box. VBP is a great company to work with. It has always been a dream of mine to build a car just like I wanted, within reason, and since a lot of the parts where missing I get to choose the new ones. I still cannot believe I’m doing this for my daughter. Now for the future plans, a crate motor, ramjet350, a 700 auto transmissions, after market AC unit, stereo, alarm, billet wheels with wider tires and a custom interior.
I have no desire to build or even own a stock factory car, so the mods that were already done were ok, but probably not what I would have chosen. At the age of 40, every car I have had has been “personalized.” I love all types of street rods and like the sound of building a “vette rod”. I hope to create a car that rodders will say, “ it just looks right.” I know I’m crazy and all the counseling in world could not cure me...and yes I will have to drive it from time to time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 04:03 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

WELCOME TO HR.COM

sounds like you got your hands full good luck

SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 07-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Welcome to the board. If that Vette was a '63 I would arm wrestle you for it! Your story brings back memories - I did a ground up restoration of a '61 Nash Metropolitan for my twin daughters when they were 15. They drove it for several years then I sold it to a nice middle age lesbian woman who was looking for one and had a B&W checkerboard tile floored garage waiting for it. She calls me every once in a while to tell me about a show or award she has won with the car. She had the BIGGEST die-cast car collection I have ever seen. She buys EVERY die-cast offered on Shopping Network.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.