outdoor material/canvas - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Farmers don't plow their fields with a mule and a single blade plow any more either. Things change, times change. Canvas is heavier and more expensive than the synthetics, and once it starts to fail, there is no stopping it. Why look for another product to waterproof the canvas when you can have the waterproofing built into the fabric you make the enclosure from? Do you think Henry Ford used coil springs in his model "T" and "A" seats because they were the best quality thing to use? He used them because that's all there was. If he could have saved 25 cents by using something else, he would have used what was cheaper. I'm not arguing that properly cared for canvas can't last a long time, but so what? Why not use the best product for the job at hand, and in this case, most cases, that's not canvas.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

I like and use canves. But i bought a canves tarp years ago to use to make a jeep top. It was in a box and it wasnt cheap back then. I keep it under my bed and never used it. About 3 years went by and one day i took it out to look at it. It was rotted and were it was folded you could tear it. What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Canvas is made from natural fibers, cotton, linen, or hemp. If your canvas was lower quality and not treated with any preservative, the untreated natural fibers (especially hemp) will fail over time.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM
boatbob2

Canvas???

Hi,if,youre only using this top 1 or 2 times a year,go to Harbor Freight and buy a silver tarp,if the nearest size is too big,buy the tarp rings.very cheap,$20.00 tops.replace as needed..........
Old 09-01-2013, 05:40 PM
hold my beer and watch this!

Last photo:

Go buy a 2 man tent for 40 bucks and throw it in the bed. Takes 5 minutes to pop up.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Doug View Post
I like and use canves. But i bought a canves tarp years ago to use to make a jeep top. It was in a box and it wasnt cheap back then. I keep it under my bed and never used it. About 3 years went by and one day i took it out to look at it. It was rotted and were it was folded you could tear it. What happened?
You bought a poor quality canvas that was probably bleached and not properly processed. Cost != quality. Look on ebay and do a search for M1928 pack, or Musette bag. These are 70+ year old canvas items that have been through war, storage, another war, more storage, and general abuse by owners and are in fine shape. When sunbrella is around for 70 years let me know The canvas top on my CCKW has been outside all year... and its fine. But its also been treated every 3 years. Even Sunbrella only comes with a 7 year warranty. So, like canvas, it *may* last longer... then why isn't it guaranteed for life... like 20 years? Use what you like... but I like canvas and natural fibers. If it wears out/rips so be it... I'll buy (or make) another one
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I've seen 10 year old navy tweed Sunbrella used as a Bimini top on a pontoon boat and left out in the sun for all ten summers, with a hole in it eaten by mice. I bought a 1/2 yard of the same fabric and it matched perfectly to the 10 year old top. Can your canvas do that? And don't tell me it can, because it can't. Do you really think the Army would have used canvas for musette bags and packs in WWII if other choices would have been available? While I admire your allegiance to canvas, there are far better and cheaper choices that don't need to be re-treated every three years. We'll have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Canvas can be repaired.... sometimes not having a perfect match for repair is a benefit... not a detriment. I understand that you have a commercial background and appearance is your lifeblood, but in many circles an original patch/repair is more important than matching colors. Nylon was readily available in the 30s/40s but was reserved for things that needed it... like parachutes and rigging. Cotton duck was used as it was the standard at the time. Like Sunbrella is now. Cotton duck is still used now for many high end products. The 70's was proof that natural fibers are much better for some things than plastics. Are we done beating this dead horse?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I was done when I said we'll have to agree to disagree on this subject. I can see where a patch that doesn't match the original would be a big advantage to everybody but me. Sure there are good reasons to use natural fibers for certain things, this cover for the back of a truck just isn't one of them.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 09-03-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg View Post
Go buy a 2 man tent for 40 bucks and throw it in the bed. Takes 5 minutes to pop up.
I think I'd pursue this idea a little bit. They go up quick and store quick and I'll bet your ride would look a whole lot better going down the road without a home made enclosure sticking out the back.
Or, think ripstop nylon. About $7.00/yard

Online Fabric Store | Never Pay Retail Again! Top Quality Fabric.

BB

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.