outdoor material/canvas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 11:59 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

outdoor material/canvas

not sure if this is the best place for this but figured material,sewn,etc

best stuff to water proof tent canvas ?
hope to get the material to make my c-10 bed tent in the fall..(venders?)
figure fridge door seal magnets sewn into the ends to keep it tight to bed sides with loops if it's windy.. and some light weight 1"pvc to make a basic "A" frame
just gotta figure out the stake pockets as they are not as large(at least they don't look it) as 80's up ones..

I will be ruffing it on the powertour if my health improves , as the going rate for hotels that week are nuts..
thanks for any help with products or venders/surpliers

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Why not buy fabric that is waterproof in the first place? Look at the selection here: Aqua Gun - Solution Dyed Polyester, Awning Rail, Boating and Marine, Aqua Gun - Solution Dyed Polyester, Aqua King - Vinyl Coated Polyester from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

The guy that did my Dads bimini (sail boat cover) used a marine grade treated canvas. Tons of colors, tough as nails, usually not too terribly expensive. He made winch covers, the mainsail (boom) cover, roller fairlead cover, the "dodger" (awning part) and it used qtr-turn fasteners. Snaps work great, but eventually they'll pull out.

DO NOT get white. I have 2 friends with drop top mustangs; the white top and interior looked awesome, but after the 3rd day, the top just looks slightly dirty. The black top looks great, just a little faded.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Canvas will not outlast woven polyester or woven acrylic cloth. Canvas will rot and discolor long before you could wear out the synthetic cloth, and the synthetics are mildew resistant, oil resistant and gasoline resistant. Canvas also shrinks, which is not good when it has to fit something snugly.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:40 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

thanks, guys, it's for a tent for the bed of truck for the powertour if my health gets better as I can't afford to spend 160-220 a night for a hotel.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

Sunbrella: The official website of Sunbrella® fabrics
Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sunbrella is woven acrylic fabric, and while it is excellent fabric it is also $35 to $55 a yard retail. I'm sure he doesn't want to spend $1000 on this project.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

this is just a tent that get used maybe 1 time a year maybe twice.
it just needs to keep water out then be put away dry after the powertour
don't need gold plated material.. like it to last , but it ,won't get used all that much, and will be stored in crawl space under breezeway,(off the floor) once I put a cerment floor under there..
tents don't get mildew if put away dry.. at least that's my experience with 10 man tents..

I was thinking even a black/brown tarp with a painter canvas drop cloth glued to the top side so it not look as redneck/butch as the tarp would..
just don't know what adhesive/glue one would use for something like that, that get rolled up ,then opened up, etc.
or just sew/snap the circumstance together

Last edited by gearheadslife; 08-13-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes View Post
Canvas will not outlast woven polyester or woven acrylic cloth. Canvas will rot and discolor long before you could wear out the synthetic cloth, and the synthetics are mildew resistant, oil resistant and gasoline resistant. Canvas also shrinks, which is not good when it has to fit something snugly.
Improperly cared for canvas will do all of this. I have seats and tops from the 40's (original production off the line) canvas that is in GREAT shape because it was cared for.

Everything will fade... its just a matter of how much. UV rays are relentless in their destructive efforts

SunBrella goes for $20-ish a yard, I considered it for a project but went with canvas because I liked the feel of canvas over the Sunbrella.

One great thing about canvas (well, you really want cotton duck) is that you can print on it with waterbased ink for a very soft hand.

Canvac is the standard canvas waterproofing solution. It stinks, and is basically a wax in a solvent.. the solvent evaporates and leaves the protectant behind. If anyone was in the army before they switched to vinyl for everything that 'canvas smell' was canvac. I LOVE that smell.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Woven acrylics and woven polyester will outlast any canvas ever made, no matter how well it was cared for. I put a patch on a 10 year old Bimini top done in Sunbrella navy tweed with a new piece of the same color, and it matched perfectly.

Yes, these fabrics cost more, but there's a reason they cost more. I'm not saying he should use Sunbrella, but there are far better choices in today's world than canvas duck, that are cheaper and more stable, color fast, and stain resistant than canvas duck.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 PM

Your statement is correct. Most people will not have the ability to properly care for a natural fiber based cover. You also cannot directly compare anything made with 70 year technology to something currently made of artificial fibers.

I have, and know many people, who have original 20-40's canvas is almost new condition.

I am planning to use Sunbrella for tire covers as they are UV blocks, also.

Whats really odd is that the warranty is only 8 years. 5 for furniture.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Sunbrella is almost a new standard in the Marine industry, but Aqua gun and a few other 'budget' options are still very popular. Canvas has gone the way of the dodo bird. It shrinks when you don't use it but does last.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM

The canvas top for my 1942 jeep was folded and in storage for 7 years (by that I mean in my basement). Put it on this summer with no issues.

Canvas top for 43 GMC truck, fresh out of the bag dated 1957, fit with no issues.

Yes, modern plastic's are above and beyond what natural fibers can do.... UNLESS PROPERLY CARED FOR. I have lots of dry rotted canvas doors/seats waiting for a new covering.

I completely agree that if you want a 'never have to worry about it' fabric then plastic fibers are for you.

But cotton duck/canvas is not as fragile as its being made out to be. Most of the famous paintings from the late 1800s on are on canvas... they held up fine.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't painting canvasses shellaced, or treated in some way on both sides before any paint went on them? And isn't the fact that they're on canvas one of the reasons they have to be kept in climate controlled conditions and cleaned regularly by certified experts?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM

It depends on the paint you use and the level of detail the artist wants to achieve weather or not there is a coating applied.

As for 'climate control' when canvas was first widely used in the mid/late 1800s (the cotton gin made the industrialization of cotton possible) the great art we have now was left out in the open... at best inside... with most home/indoor light being oil based (electricity was still many years away from wide scale use). So 'climate controlled' is a recent development... 40 years or so. Before that... not so much.

You still seem to not agree that canvas can have good long term lifespan.... but it can... if properly cared for. Any natural fiber can... if properly cared for.

But the easy answer in 2013 is use a polymer (plastic) fiber... it will outlive you and never need more than a wiping off if dirty.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.