Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Outer cam bearing (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/outer-cam-bearing-178312.html)

19nova69 05-23-2010 04:38 PM

Outer cam bearing

I just nicked my outer cam bearing pretty good when removing the cam out of my small block chevy. I'm assuming I can do it in the car since it is right there. DO I need a special tool to install this one or can I sink it like I would a normal bearing race??

GMC boogie 05-23-2010 05:05 PM

Chances are you will never get the new one installed square without a cam bearing installation tool. The front cam bearing needs to be installed from the back side to do this.

How deep is the nick? It would have to be pretty deep and all the way across for me to change it.

19nova69 05-23-2010 05:15 PM

The distributor gear put some scratches in it when I was trying to get it out. They're not that deep and do not go all the way across it, just a couple nicks here and there. I was wondering if it was bad enough to replace or if I should try to smooth it out with something and just leave it alone...

stoney 81ta 05-23-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19nova69
I just nicked my outer cam bearing pretty good when removing the cam out of my small block chevy. I'm assuming I can do it in the car since it is right there. DO I need a special tool to install this one or can I sink it like I would a normal bearing race??

I happened to do the same thing on mine its on the first bearing when you install the cam,dont mean to jump on your thread but i will be watching thhis for the replies.

GMC boogie 05-23-2010 05:52 PM

It does not sound bad at all. The material is soft. I would reinstall the cam and spin it a few times,take it back out and give it a look.

From what you describe,I think you will be ok.

19nova69 05-23-2010 06:04 PM

Should I hit it with some emery cloth or fine sand paper to make everything smooth??

GMC boogie 05-23-2010 06:29 PM

I would just let the cam smooth it out. Using any kind of abrasive is just going to embed particals in the bearing...not good

techinspector1 05-23-2010 06:47 PM

I've encountered this before. I suspect all of us have dinged a cam bearing or two at one time or another. I have used a rough cut rat-tail file to cut down anything that sits above the plane of the bearing surface and wiped out the filings with my finger. Do this V-E-R-Y slowly and V-E-R-Y carefully and you should be fine. It ain't rocket surgery! :thumbup:

eloc431962 05-23-2010 07:32 PM

I'm guilty also :eek: . It don't sound to bad from what you have described,
Rub your finger around the scratch feel how bad it really is probably can't feel to much like said before you can run the cam back in and turn it a few times Because it it a soft part or do what Tech said with the file but like he said be very careful and slow with the process. either way it should be fine. JMO

Cole