Hot Rod Forum banner

Outlining Flames?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Grashopr 
#1 ·
I was wondering how I would go about outlining my flames? I am putting flames on my stock paint, so I was going to wetsand my truck (hood and fenders) then lay out my flame pattern and spray the color, but after I do that what do I use to put a 1/16 black outline around the flames?

Thanks

#3 ·
There are a couple of ways to 'pinstripe' your flames. The easiest, and most NOBLE (in my opinion) way to do it is to purchase a 00 (pronounced double-aught) Mack blue-ferrel striping brush, some 1-shot striping enamel and do it by hand. There are many books on how to stripe. It's MUCH harder than it looks, but it's COOL.

The other way is to backmask your flames.

Either way, you need to mask your flames with the 3-tape process:
1- 1/8" blue fineline by 3M to outline the shape of the flame
2- 3/4" 3M scotch tape, outlining the blue fineline
3- 2" and 3/4" 3M scotch tape to fill in the rest of the negative space areas

After you have the flames laid out...spray around the edge of your flames the color that you want your pinstripes to be (I think you said black??). Then use some 1/16" white fineline 3M striping tape, laid down right up against the edge of the 1/8" to cover a thin slice of the black. Then shoot your solid basecoat that you want your flames. When you pull up all the tape, you will have a 1/16" black outline around your flame job.

There are a few more steps than this that are "painters secrets" steps (like shooting a white basecoat before you shoot your flame color to cover the black that you put down for your pinstripe color and to make your flame color brighter), but backmasking is the easier way to put pinstripes on something if you dont know how to pinstripe with a brush.

The 'hopper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.