Hot Rod Forum banner

Over Drive Servo

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Mudstomper 
#1 ·
I have a 92 chevy 4x4 P/U with the 700R4 Tranny in it. I have been adding mods to it for a year or so. I'm done beefing up the engine and am working on the tranny now. This weekend i put on an auto lock up switch for the torque convertor, I had a corvette servo put in last year for the 1st-3rd gears. I bought an Overdrive billet servo and planned on putting it in myself. I haven't worked on trannys much at all btw. This servo goes just above the pan on the passenger side towards the front of the tranny. There is a split keeper spring on the outside of the cover. I popped it off but i cannot get the cover to come on off. It looks as if the O-ring seal around it is what is holding it. But i just dont know forsure? The thing didn't really come with any instrustions other than a diagram and looks pretty basic and simple. Has anyone changed this and is there a trick to getting the cap on off? Is there something i'm missing or should watch out for? Thanks guys. Here is a link to the website from which i bought the servo. It is the #3X. <a href="http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm" target="_blank">http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm</a>

#3 ·
After removing the snap ring Tap the cover in and grab the o ring with a pick of some sort and rip it out. The cover should come out somewhat easy. If you can get to it, pull the cover with some channel locks.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Jason:
<strong>After removing the snap ring Tap the cover in and grab the o ring with a pick of some sort and rip it out. The cover should come out somewhat easy. If you can get to it, pull the cover with some channel locks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The O-ring is on the inside of the cover. You have to remove the cover first. If you use channel locks to remove the cover, be very careful. Squeezing to hard will warp the cover and it will leak after.

#5 ·
The only parts that will coming flying out is the big servo part right? The diagram shows the spring being held back with another keeper and washer. That brings up another question i forgot about, the new one came with a new spring. Is it difficult to compress that spring enough to add the keeper? Wonder what it would cost me to just take it to the shop and have them put it in. Seems like a waste of money. I really need to put it in though. I pull a 5k boat. Thanks for your help and your quick replys guys.

#7 ·
You're not going to warp the cover, it's pretty thick aluminum. If you have ever worked on a 700 you will notice notches around the servo cover, this is where you can see the o-ring and can grab it with something. Nothing's going to come "flying out" either.

#8 ·
Originally posted by xtreme off-road:
<strong>

The O-ring is on the inside of the cover. You have to remove the cover first. If you use channel locks to remove the cover, be very careful. Squeezing to hard will warp the cover and it will leak after.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's a break in the housing around the cover. Grab the o-ring here and pull it out, then snip it with ***** or strong scissors. The cover will come out

#10 ·
No not at all, you didnt mess me up. I know exactly what you guys are saying. It was what i thought but i was double checking. I had the cover to where i can spin it with my fingers and push it in and out. I thought about trying to get ahold of that O-ring and cutting it, but wasn't sure. I'll go for it again saturday. I posted this question days ago on a nother board and got into a debate that there wasn't no such thing as an overdrive servo. Thanks again for your help and i found a new home for reliable information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.