Over Heating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Over Heating

Beautiful day for a cruise and so I left in the early mornning, in my '40 for a rod run 60 miles away. Temp was to be 37C or 99degrees F, but at this time of the morning it was about 20C or 69F. I had to climb a 5000' summit which lasted for about half of the 60 miles distance. Engine temp was a modest 160+ degrees and climbed to about 190 degrees, when I reached the peak. I can live with that but coming back at 3pm in the afternoon was a bit of a nightmare. I have no idea what the temp was except that it was HOT! My temp shot up to 200 degrees quickly and then slowly climbed up from there. I was about 15+ miles away from the summit and the temperature showed no signs of levelling off. It rose to 250 degrees, and was there for a while, until I started to descend down the summit. The engine is an '85 Chev 350 with a 700 4r, 160F thermostat, aluminum rad, A/C condenser (A/C was not running) and the timing is set at 8 degrees BTC (according to the manual). When climbing the mountain the engine sounded like it was pinging. My question is what should I set the timing at and how can I prevent this happening again? I believe that the timing is the culprit unless I've missed something.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.