Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Over heating Flattie
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Radiator woes

Thanks John! I thought retarding the timing was wrong. I recalled adjusting the timing up instead of down back in the 60's. The rust may be a factor here. Because I was overheating so much I stopped putting in antifreeze. It just so happens that I started cleaning out the cooling system by adding radiator flush to the system so it would be ready to drain and clean by the time I arrived home from the show she was in. I flushed it out pretty good last night but haven't added water back due to the fact I need to buy some antifreeze. The thermostats are new as I changed them thinking they might be part of the problem. No water in the oil so I doubt it is a blown headgasket. I have no idea the gear ratio as the one in the car is what Henry put in originally. The fan was changed to a high output electric fan do you think that could be part of the problem? I have been running it for years with no problems until recently.

Jim