Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Over heating Flattie
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hey John,
When I first finished rebuilding the engine after having it boiled and checked for cracks etc. the engine ran pretty good. The temp never got above 190 on either gage. Then one hot summer while going to a show about fifty five miles from home (Carolina Hot 99 degrees) she over heated. I was running 65 on the Interstate. I pulled off found a place to let it cool down, refilled with water and was on my way seemingly with no further problems. The gage for the left bank pegged itself and destroyed the thing. On the way home I had to constantly stop and fill the radiator with water. I replaced gage, cleaned system, replaced both right and left water thermostats and added coolant.
Everything seemed fine as long as the ambiant temperature remained in the low 70's and if you didn't kick your speed up past 55. If it was a cool rainy day you could go up to 70 with no problems.
Around town no over heating problems at all. I thought I had the problem solved there for a while but I was in error.
I have the engine timed according to the specs but then in 1951 the car didn't have A/C, it wasn't 12 volt neg ground. It didn't have electric windows, electric doors etc. I have noticed that I can run the A/C around town but dare not on the open highway.
I was having so many issues with the car at one point I damn near ripped the flathead out and dropped in a Chevy engine that all my friends tried to talk me into in the first place. The only issue I have left is this damn overheating problem but you have given me renewed hope!

Thanks,
Jim