Hot Rod Forum banner

Over heating issue

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  camarodriver67 
#1 ·
Hey guy I need some help with and over heating issue. As I mentioned in a previous thread I started about another issue I've got a radical built 427 that's running around 210 deg which I think is to hot. I'm running a small block stock 3 row copper radiator w/ a 16" puller and a 12" pusher on the other side theres alone a couple in. overlap.
I did it that way because I didn't there room the mt the 16" fan in the mid because of the long water pump.
It also has a high flow pump and a high flow 160 thermostat and the timing is at 16 deg. I believe it's around 30 total I can't remember my son did that. I just found out that the pulley system is under driven the cs pulley is 5 1/2 w/p pulley is 6 1/4 alt is 2 11/16. I figured I post this before I started looking to purchase a aluminum radiator maybe somebody can tell me what they think. The car also has a trans cooler mounted in front of radiator. If I do need a aluminum radiator all suggestion will be appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm no expert, but it doesn't look like you have the coolant bypass hooked up between your water pump and intake manifold? I believe big blocks require this.
Also if you have room, I would use a mechanical fan driven off the motor with a shroud. If you have to use electric, I wouldn't use a push/ pull fan system as they tend to fight each other and lower the cfm not increase it. And, a shroud with your 16" fan would help, or two smaller fans with a shroud.

#5 · (Edited)
If you're seeing 210 degrees with a 160 thermostat, your radiator is too small. If you're making 600 HP and turn 3000 RPM at 45 MPH, you need a 4 core Aluminum Radiator with a shroud so the fan whether electric or mechanical pulls air through the entire Rad core surface area. I would run a 180 degree thermostat. Your car looks like a '66 or '67 Nova which doesn't have a lot of room for a wide radiator. Get the biggest radiator you can get in there. Even if you have to do some radiator mount mods and move the battery in the trunk to allow a wider Rad. Here's a 3 row from Champion Radiator, but I'd go 4 row. Call them with your dimensions. Your big block motor is worth a lot more than a $200 or $300 Radiator.
(66-67) Chevrolet Nova 3-row radiator

#6 ·
Remember that a fan is to pull air through the radiator at very low speeds. They do nothing to cool the engine above 40 - 45 mph. Your two fans are blocking the air flow when you get to 40 mph so they are an obstruction to proper cooling.
It looks like you have room to put an engine driven fan between the pump and radiator, if you have the room use it. A good shroud will make a single fan work fine at lower speeds and won't get in the way of air flow at highway speeds. With a good shroud and an engine driven fan I doubt you will need any more radiator than you already have.

#10 · (Edited)
The thermostat by pass from the water pump to the intake manifold is used on the engines that do not have a thermostat by pass from the block to the water pump. The blocks with a thermostat by pass have a second hole on the passenger side water pump mounting pad. The blocks that require a pump to intake manifold by pass will have only one water pump hole on each side of the water pump.

Now you know what that mysterious third water pump hole is for.
Sometimes the engine will cool better if the by pass hole in the block is plugged or non-existant and the intake manifold to water pump by pass is used.

#12 ·
I have a big block 496 c.i. in my 67 Camaro. You will need an aluminum radiator with a core size of 18" x 24" and an overall height and width of 19" x 29". Make sure the radiator has at least 2 rows of 1" tubes. Check out this radiator from Jeg's. It says this one has approximately 800 to 1200+ Horsepower Cooling Capacity. Champion Cooling Systems MC571: All-Aluminum Radiator 1968-87 GM (20" Core) | JEGS. I have a dual fan setup like this too. Be Cool Radiators 75007: 11" Qualifier Dual Puller Fans 2725 CFM @ 33.0 amps | JEGS Try your fan first it might be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.