over sized rings 350 chevy. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

over sized rings 350 chevy.

I just though i would mention something that just came back to me. Years ago i bought a 1971 camero from my local dealer who wanted it gone, because it used alot, alot of oil. About a quart every 100 miles. My brother took it to my dad farm and we pulled the motor. When we pulled it down, the bore wasn't bad, bearings looked new. Valves looked bad. My brother told me about chevrolet had 5thousands over sized rings. I ordered them from deter chevrolet and they arrived a few days later. I had the head-valves redone. We reemed the cylinders and honed them. We then put it all back together using the same bearings, oversized rings, rebuilt heads. We drove that car for many years afer that until i sold it and the young guy bought it. I saw that car years later at a car show, I was suprised to find out that the motor was still going strong. Just though i'd throw that out there. That was thirty years ago. don't even know if thevrolet even makes those rings any more.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Not surprising.....Standard rings probably would have done the same thing as long as long the bores werent worn too much. The 5 thou oversize rings are available so a builder can file them down to get ring gap correct on HiPerf engine builds, not to correct worn bores. If your bores had been worn that much, you would have had piston slap after the rebuild
Old 01-27-2013, 05:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

If you have a possible piston slap, you don't rering. the oversize ring gives you the oppertunity, to do the rering, but regap for clearance to be closer. Its not what i'm recommendilng. It has very limited use. only did it for the one build because it was practical, all our other builds were total new.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

For someone doing a search

What can happen is the +0.005" rings can butt together and bust the ring lands if the engine is run hard. Won't necessarily happen every time, but to use the oversize rings w/o checking/correcting the end gap as needed is asking for trouble.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.