Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - over sized rings on standard pistons
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A practice from years ago instead of being forgotten pops up in this day and age of technology and people talk like its still done today instead of passing into oblivion!!!!! LOL We used to shim rod cap's years ago as common practice!!! Its still done but on antiques and classics that were built with technology of the time! but someone might say "shim your rod cap to get clearance" (on a new 350 G.M.), "I was told its done on them" Wrong its not!!!

We used to have one crank journal turned to .010, .020, etc without pulling the engine out of the vehicle! I think that's obsolete now tooI don't know The guy that did it was "Georges Portable Crank Grinding" in Detroit.

Years ago:
Hupmobile, Ford, and a few others offered rings not available to the public that were a little over sized for standard pistons up to .005" that's bore could be honed but didn't need boring! It was a quick fix! One cylinder without having to pull the engine!and the practice isn't done any more! I don't think they are available (obsolete)! This is out of an old service manual:

Replacement Rings:—Furnished in standard and
.005", and oversize 010", .020", .030" oversize.

An oversize ring even when file cut on a standard piston in a worn oversize bore is apt to break the ring land because it isn't fully in position (deep enough into the ring land) and creates high stress on the land!!! don't try it!

Jester