Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - over sized rings on standard pistons
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I should haved used different wording on my post. , i have a big block chevy at a repital shop, he's straightening the bores,it has a .002 taper, and hone and said i would use oversized file to fit rings. Forged pistons.
I found this past post on this forum.

QUOTE=Super Streeter;27899]On a blueprinted engine,it is common to use .005" overszed rings and file them to fit.This is done because most ringsets are designed to be used with normal passenger car piston to wall clearances.When blueprinting even an out of the box crate motor to be used for racing,the builder will usually hone the cylinders so that the pistons fit real loose,and then the ring end gaps are too large,so slightly oversize rings are used and filed to get
the correct endgap.As you may notice,most perfromace piston rings will come in oversizes suc as .005,or .035",or .065",this is to allow the engine build to file fit the rings,these rings are to be used in either standard{.005},or .030 or .060" overbored cylinders.Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by jayseasBlue56; 12-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.