Over spray - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 07:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Over spray

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot..........................

With any luck the painting will take place this weekend but one concern I have had from the start is over spray.
I will be painting in a single car garage. In the back door I will have a 2 foot box fan blowing the air/fumes/over spray out. I have a side window that I will open once the car has started to dry. Plastic will cover the walls and door opening.

What are the chances of over spray getting onto the cars in the driveway, the house siding or most importantly my neighbors property (There what picket fence is about 40 feet away.

I am probably being overly concerned. I assume the over spray wont stick past a few feet from the gun but I have to ask.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I would go buy a furnace filter to put on the fan, so it filters the air going into the fan. I would also, for safety sake, not park anything within about 20 ft of that window. The better the filter, the better your chances of not having a problem.

In the right conditions, paint can travel a good distance.

Aaron
Old 06-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw550
I assume the over spray wont stick past a few feet from the gun but I have to ask.
Common misconception, probably a carry over from lacquer days. Actually modern catalyzed urethane can travel quite a ways and bond to a surface.

Use several filters on the outgoing air to trap any over spray. You might even consider setting up a garden hose near the air outflow and use a fine spray of water to help trap any over spray.

Vince
Old 06-22-2006, 10:01 PM

Last photo:

Air needs to circulate through your garage so make sure you've got some air coming in or nothing will go out. Furnace filters really don't flow very well compared to regular spraybooth filters and may clog up with overspray quickly so watch your airflow or pickup some booth filters and filter the inlet air and the outlet. Take your time between coats and let the garage clean out well and wear a good mask or fresh air system.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 PM
official pimp

try finding a airconditioner blower at the dump or sumthing and cut a filter to fit that, it will move more air more rapidly
Old 06-22-2006, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Bob said what I was thinking as I was reading your post. I would consider opening that window while painting and placing filters in the opening as intake air. A little house fan really doesn't move much air, unless you have a very efficient spray gun, it is probably going to get a bit foggy in that little garage. I would see if you can line up a few more fans. I spent many years painting like that and trying to see through a big overspray cloud lingering in the garage with only a charcoal respirator. Probably not the wisest thing to do with the iso's in hardener. I now have a 3000 cfm, and I keep it on the low setting. It is a huge improvement over a house fan. Like the others have already said, place filters in front of your exhaust. An easy way to do it is to fill the opening with some plastic sheeting (visqueen). cut an opening for the filter the size of your fan, and place the fan on the other side. Still may get some overspray with cheap filters, but should cut down on the amount going through the fan. If you have neighbors close by, realize that painting is illegal in a residential area in most places I believe. If they smell paint or have overspray on something and complain it could get you a fine or at least a warning. I've been lucky, my neighbors have always been cool about it, when I was living at home in the country, several neighbors on the block painted cars in their garages, and the place I live now, only have neighbors next to me on one side, and they are an older couple that often leave and are gone for the weekend.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:55 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Keep in mind the filter area. In a common down draft spray booth, the ceiling is all filters. The floor is about 1/2 filters. That is a large area, and the filters are changed regularly. Of course they do spray alot of cars in them before changing the filters. The thing is that you should, if you are only going to have one filter going out, change the filter regularly. If possible, change it between coats, or atleast between the base and clear. I have used the "re-useable" filters(type that you rinse out with water) and cleaned them out between base and clear, but they will not come completely clean, and will have restricted air flow. Placing a filter on both sides of the fan will also help reduce the amount of paint that gets in the air outside.

You must have air coming in, for air to be able to go out!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:50 AM

Last photo:

I obviously want the car to good but I am more concerened about overpray landing on my neighbors property.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:57 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Buy a case of whatever size filters you will use on the ex. fan cause they will fill up quick,especialy the clear coating.Have them close and change them as often as you can. Filtering your "supply" air is VERY important unless you want a ton of trash in your job. Get a cheap shoot suit or some Tyveck coveralls as trash can come from your clothes as much or more than the air your pulling in.
If you have a air conditioning supply house close,go and buy a case (12) 1' thick poly type filters. They will do as good as the high dollar pleated one's and cost half the price.The blue fiberglass type are crap and won't last long or filter very well either.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

you can also build a box on the inlet side of the booth to increase the filter area, install 5 filters to increase the airflow.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

Can we get some pics of your setup.

Hey Kaw,
As I'm about to put on the final pieces of my project truck I'm starting to layout my garage setup for painting. Is it possible for you post some pics of your garage setup?
Old 06-23-2006, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

I have not actually started putting it together. I hope to get the garage ready tomorrow. I am not planning anything elaborate. It's been a really, really long process. I can't see my self doing it again anytime soon.

Once it's done I will send you some pics. If it works I will let you know. If the car is a mess you will know what not to do!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.