Hot Rod Forum banner

Over the top door panels?

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  nine4gmc 
#1 ·
Anyone have pics of custom door panels that go over the top edge of the door, to the window channel like modern panels? I have a 1940 something Plymouth Business Coupe that has been chopped and channeled and the customer does not have the window reveal moldings(if it had any and he did not paint there so it's not finished) he wants the door panels to wrap over to the window channel. I am trying to think of a way to do this and make it look right. We are going with the "hard look" sculptured foam panels and I plan on using 3mm PVC board unless someone has a better recommendation.

I considered using 20ga steel to make a curve and attaching it to the panel but wanted to see if anyone has done this and what they did. I can post pics of the door in question later if needed.

TIA

#2 ·
Let's see the pictures. Normally, those cars had window moldings that went around the window and over the top of the door panels. If you don't have those, you've got a problem.

#3 ·
I've definitely got a problem. Here are a few pics, the panel board shown is just a mock up pattern for the 3mm PVC board I plan to use. The customer had carpet glued straight to the door, lapping over the top and wants the door panels to cover that area since it was not painted and he doesn't have the moldings. The top has been chopped about 5" and I think he tossed them since they no longer fit. No trim around the front window either, I gotta come up with something there as well. The rear window is from another model car and luckily, it has the molding screwed to it so the one piece headliner won't be too bad in back, just the front to worry about.

Here is the passenger door. He wants the triangle towards the front covered along with the top curve from where the door panel is supposed to stop, to the window channel.

Here is the driver door with pattern attached. You can see he also went with square door handles from a Toyota or something so I will be dealing with those nasty linkages bulging through and proper spacing to the plastic handle trim. He cut/welded the metal surround from the donor car so the plastic handles attach like factory(factory Toyotas that is...)

I wish these guys would consult an upholsterer BEFORE/WHILE building them, it would be a much better outcome. :spank:

#4 ·
If he would have kept the old ones, they could have been cut down and welded back together. I'd sure get on E-bay and try to find some moldings.

#5 ·
Exactly what I told him but the car was built about 8yrs ago and he has no parts left for it. I've been checking eBay for 3 weeks now since he dropped it off and none there either. I tried explaining that it won't look right with a wrap over door panel but he can't seem to visualize it seeing that his carpet wrapped over fine. I even mentioned he could have the curve area painted but he is stuck on matching vinyl. I finally gave up and came here for advice.

I had two ideas in mind, one I mentioned already with the 20ga steel bent over and attached to the panels kind of like 70-80s GM, another idea was to make that 20ga steel panel separate, cover it and run the vinyl behind the top edge of the PVC board panel. That way, the door panel is separate and if he finds some window trim later on he can easily remove the top portion and not have to reupholster the door panels.

This has been haunting me for almost a month and now its go-time...

Btw, thanks for your fast response, I have learned a lot from your posts throughout the years.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks NTFDAY, I mentioned it to the owner and he said he'd think about it but to go ahead for now. I bent some tin over the edge and trimmed to fit, then padded it and wrapped it to match the theme and left the tail to hang behind the panel. If he gets the window moldings, I will wrap them to match but I think he is happy with this for now.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics.

#12 ·
Thanks Guys! :lol: Ogre, that wall/step thingy was buuilt by the owner and he wanted me to cover it to match. I tried to get him to let me round it out and form it more but he wouldn't go for it, he did allow me to make the capsule shape doors, his were square. The bottom "step" hides his battery and fuse box and allows some storage for paperwork etc and the fuel tank is behind the top portion, just below the back deck. I would have loved to mold that entire area with curves to match the shapes of his car but that was out of the question.

More pics when I get a minute. Thanks for stopping in!

#14 ·
There's nothing wrong with the picture. Nice job on the whole project. The silver accents look like button studs, what are they? What kind of seats are those?

#15 ·
Thanks Dan! The silver things are "1/4" Eyelets", two piece grommets basically. The seats were in it when the customer brought it to me so I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure they are Toyota truck/suv seats?

Here are a couple pics of when he dropped it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.