OVERDRIVE in 2nd gen camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 10:08 PM
It's all in the reflexes

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OVERDRIVE in 2nd gen camaro

Hi guys I have a 1975 Camaro thats my new project car. I plan on keeping it a manual and putting either a 400 horse+ small block in or a gen IV 5.3 in it. I will keep the 10 bolt and add posi with 3.73's probably.

I plan to drive the car everywhere and blast down the strip without blowing it up.

My question is will a t-5 or t-56 last behind these engines or should I go with a tremec tko-500? I don't want to spend anything over 1200 bucks on a transmission for this car. I would like an overdrive tranny. Is there any other companies that make a t-5 or t-56?

What will all have to be changed in order to run one of these tranny's i.e hydraulic clutch, mounting, etc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

T-5 won't last long. Anything but that.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:41 AM
It's all in the reflexes

Last photo:

I had a feeling I was going to hear that . What would be another good option that wouldn't hurt my college wallet? lol

I have decided that I want to run a 5.3 out of a newer pickup and swap in a bigger cam for maybe 400 horse. Since I have my hands on a t-5 for free can I bolt the tranny right up to the new blocks without any other work?

I know i'm asking alot of questions but i'm really motivated to get this camaro on the road course this summer and yet be able to knock down 20 mpg on the way home
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanic_350
I had a feeling I was going to hear that . What would be another good option that wouldn't hurt my college wallet? lol

I have decided that I want to run a 5.3 out of a newer pickup and swap in a bigger cam for maybe 400 horse. Since I have my hands on a t-5 for free can I bolt the tranny right up to the new blocks without any other work?

I know i'm asking alot of questions but i'm really motivated to get this camaro on the road course this summer and yet be able to knock down 20 mpg on the way home
I'll let someone else with more knowledge than me answer that question. All I know is the T-5 is weak for high HP applications.
I do know, unless the T-5 comes with a pilot bushing, fly wheel, clutch disc, clutch plate, bell housing, linkage, shifter, cross member, and drive shaft, your going to need a fatter wallet than you think. You could get close to 20 MPG with a 300 HP, 4 SP, and 3:08's in the rear and still have fun on a road course for a lot less money. The LT-1 Z-28 came with 330 hp and was an awesome running car and that's what I would shoot for to run on reg gas.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:38 AM
It's all in the reflexes

Last photo:

I don't want to part with this car because it was my first car in 7th grade and I just recently got it back from the owner. The t-5 is still in the trans am and comes with everything so i'm "golden" there . I'm going to throw a carb on the 5.3 so i can just run a electric pump and keep things simple. Right now its got 3.08 peg leg rear gears that i'll keep till I can afford 3.55's or something...

I do appreciate all of your input though and I do understand it won't be the most effecient rig in town but it'll special to me. I know the t-5 isn't the best choice but its what i have at the moment
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanic_350
I don't want to part with this car because it was my first car in 7th grade and I just recently got it back from the owner. The t-5 is still in the trans am and comes with everything so i'm "golden" there . I'm going to throw a carb on the 5.3 so i can just run a electric pump and keep things simple. Right now its got 3.08 peg leg rear gears that i'll keep till I can afford 3.55's or something...

I do appreciate all of your input though and I do understand it won't be the most effecient rig in town but it'll special to me. I know the t-5 isn't the best choice but its what i have at the moment
Sounds like it. Don't forget your going to need a dist. also to replace the comp. controlled ignition. Goog luck with your project.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

A 5.3 LS motor is not easy to adapt a distributor to.. a Friend of mine that dabbles with LS engines tells me the MSD LS-1 controller works great for the ignition with OE sensors and coils. A carb and intake bolted to the LS engine.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 PM
It's all in the reflexes

Last photo:

Yes I am going to go with the MSD set up and through a carb on it for awhile but keep all the efi stuff for a later date until I can afford the fuel system.

As with the transmission is it an easy fit to the gen III or gen IV with its flywheel? (I know it might be a stupid question but I'm an automatic guy)
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

What transmission is in the car now?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM
It's all in the reflexes

Last photo:

F-bird88, There is no engine or tranny in the camaro. It was a 250 straight six and a 3 speed saginaw when i first got it. The trans-am is a 350 with a world class t-5. I want a five speed but the tko-500 is expensive (2150.00) so I don't know another good choice
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

A Richmond street 5 speed is $2K.

A Richmond Super T-10 "wide ratio" w 3.42:1 first is $1.5K
Both have a steep 1st gear allowing modest gears for cruising. (3.08ish)

Use a tall street tire and switch to the shortest possible gummy tire (drag radial) for drag and gymkana.

thats your best compromise. Build the motor with a broad power band. it will work well.

A mild supercharged 350 gives the power, allows more modest gearing as well.

http://www.richmondgear.com/07pdfs/RG25.pdf

You have to realize as soon as you "cam up" a 5.3 L LS motor (for more power) the fuel mileage and broad power band is going to suffer.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 01-30-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:49 PM
It's all in the reflexes

Last photo:

I do want a overdrive tranny so should I just sell the t-5 set up? I'll keep my eye out for a cheaper 5 speed like a richmond or a tremec on ebay or craigslist.

I know but its better than my 13 second c10 which gets 7 miles a gallon. If i can get 18 with 3.55's in the rear and overdrive i'll be happy!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Both vehicles are too big too heavy with too much frontal area for mileage.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

NV3500? I cannot say if it's better or worse than a t5, but it's what I have behind my 400hp sbc in a 5000lb truck. It has been holding up for 3 years now with me abusing it, and it was on the truck since 99 with no rebuild. I get 12-14 MPG depending on the temperature and tune...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
It's all in the reflexes

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Both vehicles are too big too heavy with too much frontal area for mileage.
What rigs are too heavy??? if a 06 crew cab with the 5.3 can get 20 mpgs and weighs 6,000 why can't my camaro get at least 18 with a 5.3 and a 5 speed?? I know you have like a million posts but it doesn't make sense if thats what your talking about

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.