overdrive dead in 700r4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

overdrive dead in 700r4

Have a 89 gmc truck that has trans problems. I rebuilt the thing from front to back. I installed new alto red clutches, kolene steels, beast sun shell, sk700 jr kit, 500 boost valve, transgo plate, new seals and gaskets and torque converter. This seemed like a pretty good rebuild. Only thing wrong to start with was the 3-4 pack was burned up. I did install the 8 disk pack on 3-4 with .030 clearance. The big problem is....nothing happens in od. Put in drive and it shifts 1-2-3 just fine with a small flare on third. Will not shift down when I mash the gas. Throttle pressure is set to full stroke with full throttle. I thought that would be good for initial start up.I have had alot of guys tell me many different things are wrong from bent manual valve linkage to bad forward sprage. The thing is... all clutches and sprages are used in the first three gears and reverse. What is wrong with this thing? I would greatly appreciate a tip or two on this as its a pain in the backside to r and r with it being a 4wd. Thanks in advance for the right tip!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:

The wiper seal on the 4th piston needs to have the long tab out. Unfortunately, the easiest way to make sure of this is to spend another $20 on a 'vette servo which you probably already have. But that way you get the 4th seal and the cover seal.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 AM

Yes, I have a new corvette servo but unfortunately its still in the box on the shelf. My supplier did not send the proper seals with it so I could not install when the time was prime...like on the bench. Planned on doing that later with time permitting.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboneman
Yes, I have a new corvette servo but unfortunately its still in the box on the shelf. My supplier did not send the proper seals with it so I could not install when the time was prime...like on the bench. Planned on doing that later with time permitting.

If you had a complete sealing ring kit , the sealing rings for the corvette servo should have been in it.

The no shift to 4th gear may as simple as a stuck shift valve .
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 AM

Actually, The problem is alittle more than a no shift to forth. There is nothing in the overdrive shift position. Its like its still in neutral. Does not even change sound, quiver, shake or anything.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

the no kickdowns a issuse to and the flare no move ment at all in 4 th or does it shift up to 4 then neutral
Old 01-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Actually, The problem is alittle more than a no shift to forth. There is nothing in the overdrive shift position. Its like its still in neutral. Does not even change sound, quiver, shake or anything.

Lets back up (no pun) on this DIY build... I must have mis-understood the problem, sorry

So I understand you:

Are you saying when the shifter is in "OD" the vehicle does not move from a full stop?

When the shifter is in "D" or "3" the next detent from "OD" , the vehicle moves from a full stop?

If that is the case here... you have the forward sprag installed backwards in the aluminum drum.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM

Yes, that is the situation... In OD nothing , no movement.In Drive it will run 123 with a small flare when going into 3rd. But to me the major brain tease is....when it gets to what would be a normal 4th gear speed you can move the selector to the overdrive position and it will shift to fourth gear but when you slow down to a lower speed it defaults back to like a neutral till you pull the selector back to drive. and then its back in 3rd gear. Have read alot of posts..repair manuals and the like and I can not seem to find much on this particulalar behavier. If...I were to have oversqueezed the seals on the turbine shaft, could that cause this problem. My seal tool was a homemade thing so I am not sure of the results on the seal sizing. Any thought would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes, that is the situation... In OD nothing , no movement.In Drive it will run 123 with a small flare when going into 3rd. But to me the major brain tease is....when it gets to what would be a normal 4th gear speed you can move the selector to the overdrive position and it will shift to fourth gear but when you slow down to a lower speed it defaults back to like a neutral till you pull the selector back to drive. and then its back in 3rd gear. Have read alot of posts..repair manuals and the like and I can not seem to find much on this particulalar behavier. If...I were to have oversqueezed the seals on the turbine shaft, could that cause this problem. My seal tool was a homemade thing so I am not sure of the results on the seal sizing. Any thought would be appreciated.
it's not a brain tease for me. You carry on and you will get the trans fixed.

You have surveyed application charts and power flow charts on this trans? Have you noticed the ''over run'' clutch pack comes on in "D" and not "OD"

When you stop and the vehicle will not move again till shifted to "D" .... that is because you are at the same point again starting over.

Over squeezed sealing rings? Well , I guess you may have done that. Still need to remove the trans again to fix that .

Post back with your findings so the membership can gain some information on the repair of the trans. Every bit helps.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 PM

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, tips etc. on my tranny problem that I posted this am. I have made a decision on what I am going to do. Going to take it apart in slow motion starting with the valve body and not pulling the trans. Going to inspect in detail...springs...stuck valves, cloged pasageways, check ball locations etc. If nothing found am going to temp the pan back on and remove. Start my teardown on the front....the imput drum and go till I find the problem. I kinda suspect the forward sprag or the turbine shaft seals. One or the other. But anyway...Thankyou all. Wii post the results and findings.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:15 AM

Well......It works finally. I was pretty sure that I did the whole thing right so I got a pressure gauge and hooked it up. During the process of checking minimum tv pressure and maximum in the overdrive position the transmission came to life. It must have had a piece of lint or debris stuck somewhere or I got to over generous with the trans jel and had a check ball glued in so well that rendered it inoperable. Well....thats the story.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Well......It works finally. I was pretty sure that I did the whole thing right so I got a pressure gauge and hooked it up. During the process of checking minimum tv pressure and maximum in the overdrive position the transmission came to life. It must have had a piece of lint or debris stuck somewhere or I got to over generous with the trans jel and had a check ball glued in so well that rendered it inoperable. Well....thats the story.
So glad for you that it started working. You would have been real frustrated if you had torn it down and found nothing wrong internally.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Okay. I have been reading this form, because my transmission has done something very similar. So I was wondering if you could tell me more in detail what you did if my problems sounds close to yours. I was driving mine and it just stopped. Just like it went into neutral while it was in OD. I can put it in drive and it works with no problems. But OD acts like a neutral. I think my trans fluid was low at the time. Thanks very much.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 AM

Yes, I finally did discover my problem in the tranny. I had the valve body gaskets reversed. Bottom on top and top on bottom. It messed up the whole program. I was surprised it worked at all. It burned up the 3-4 clutch and made a mess inside so alot of cleaning was in order and now it works perfect. Am going to have to remove again and take my guts and put in another case. It has a case leak on the rear in manual low and reverse. I should have paid more attention to the oil mess when I removed it from the start. I just assumed that a seal was out somewhere and a rebuild would fix it. It has been very educational. Good luck on your project!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.