overfueling problems? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2003, 11:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

overfueling problems?

when Im at highway speed and go to wot my engine completely stalls out with no stumble would that be my secondaries flooding it out? I have a 79 camaro with a completely rebuilt 355. I have s/r torquer cyl heads, a comp cams 268 extreme energy cam and 9.5:1 compression. I have a TH350 tranny and a set of 2.41:1 gears ( just bought a ford 9 in at a salvage yard for it yay 3.70:1 should help) the carb is a speed demon 650 with vac. secondaries, primarys are jetted down to 68 from 70 and secondarys are 72's, carb still has stock secondary spring. timing is 10 or 12 initial and 36 fully advanced. thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

in this case, I think you need to find out if your running out of fuel or getting too much. as either can cause it to act as you discribed. when you floor it do you see black smoke behind you? check your float levels, check the accelerator pumps, make sure they both work and are adjusted correctly, and lastly, check the fuel pressure.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:27 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

DITTO with DoubleVision, also what type of fuel pump do you have.
DoubleVision hit 99% of everything to look for.
Going at WOT could be sucking the gas out of the float chambers due to a low float level or a weak fuel pump.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:06 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Check for a clogged fuel filter (inline and also in the inlets on the carb).
Old 08-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Start by double checking your float levels, they should be about 1/4 of the window. Does the problem get any better or worse while the engine or weather is hotter or colder ? If you notice it better colder you're probably too rich, if it's better hotter you may be too lean. The first place to look after checking your float level would be to try a larger squirter. (If you're not sure it's always safer to ad fuel) This will either make the problem better or worse to help you tune in the carb.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!

Last photo:

I had a similar thing happen to me on a 70 nova with a 402 BBC. Going on the freeway it would just die. Then start back up again and run fine for a bit then die again. Turned out to be a mosquito in the fuel bowl that was plugging the jets. When it died the mosquito would float away from the jet and the car would fire again, how it got there I'll never know! NOW I'm not suggesting you have the very same problem ...with a mosquito, but you could have something floating in your fuel bowl. And the other suggests here about fuel pressure not being adequate is very valid. Good Luck! ...Mark
Old 08-05-2003, 07:13 PM

Does the motor catch up to speed or stay dead flat at WOT?
Lean it would backfire, and I don't think it would flood the motor at WOT, especially with vacuum secondaries,if its getting more gas it would run, or is it a bog or hesitation before picking up and run. Can you please describe a little more.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:19 AM

Last photo:

ok the engine will completly kill out and i have to stop the car and start it again. if I ease into the gas it will rev out to at least 4000 rpm, thats all i dare go around here as that is plenty fast with my gears. it smells real rich when the secondarys do open, with the original 70 primarys the engine would not rev past 2000 rpm and when i let off the gas it would burn gas out the headers so I am wondering if the combination of 68's and 72's arnt just flooding the thing out when it all rushes in. the fuel pump is a fairly new mech. pump nothing fancy I am thinking about thowing an electric pump in and a reg. I had the carb tuned on the engine by a shop and I still think the place could have done better. It was set at 500 rpm in gear and would stall when you let off the brake. it smells rich in idle and has stalled on a fairly hot day leaving a stop light. the idle is at 700 in gear and about 900 in park. I kinda thought it funny that the engine was getting cranked over but wouldnt run when it did die at wot, I poped it in N and tried to restart it and ground my starter, if my engines ever stalled while driving they ussualy would start again on their own from cranking why this didnt is odd. (New plugs in it and a race coil. so spark should be no problem. ) I dont know what else could cause it? what do you think? I will check float levels and post later. thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 03:15 PM

Either its not getting enough gas= fuel pump, filter's, your running out of gas. Idel should be 650RPM. OR,
With the air cleaner off, and the motor off, push the pedal all the way to the metal and watch and see if the carb lift's up, it could be a broken carb base plate at the mounting tab.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Have you pulled out a Spark Plug after the engine has shut off ? (Before restarting it) This would let you know if it's too rich, or too lean also.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 PM

1bad80 hit on something i was going to mention also, it might not be so much a direct fuel problem as maybe an air problem. had the same type of conditions on our pro stocker one night after a bad wreck, chased float levels, jets, fuel pumps all night before we found a crack in the carb mount adapter. good luck!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.