overheating 460 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2002, 08:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post overheating 460

I have the 87 model mustang with a 460 bigblock engine. I am having serious overheating probs, the engine over say a 30 minute time span of running will slowly creap up to 210-215 degrees. I have droped the k-member down 2" so the motor sits lower in the engine bay so that I can use an 18" ford factory five blade v-belt driven flex fan& shroud it moves a ton of air but the engine still wants to get over 200 degrees I also use the griffen 2 row 1-1/4 per row aluminum radiator the core thickness measures at 2-5/8" which is the biggest radiator I could use, also I,m using a flow kooler brand water pump that is supposed to flow 30% more than stock. I have tried every thermostat out there but they seem to make the engine hotter quicker but without a themostat it does a little better. well if you have any clues on something that might be wrong with this settup please let me know thanks, kevin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2002, 02:03 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Smile

I would think that the biggest problem with this swap would be frontal air intake. Do you have the LX or GT front fascia? The GT may flow more air. Also keep all air deflectors/guides in their origional position to direct air to the radiator. A larger front air deflector (under the core support). Maybe a cowl induction hood to discharge hot air more easily.

Also consider an engine oil cooler, a trans cooler (if automatic) and a power steering cooler, all mounted away from the area directly in the air path of the radiator.

Next time you have a chance, look at the electric fan/shroud setup on the late Mark VIII Lincolns. It will give you increased air flow in addition to taking a lot of drag off the engine.

Just suggestions mind you. And all of this considering the engine is in perfect mechanical shape.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:56 PM

Try this. With the engine cold, take the radiator cap off and fill the radiator up with water as full as it will go. Start the engine and as the engine gets close to the operating temperature of 180 degrees take a flashlight and shine it into the radiator to see if you are getting any bubbles. If you are, the head gasket is most likely the culprit. A cracked head or block can also cause this. This will cause an overheating condition when everything seams to be correct.
Old 06-23-2002, 07:02 PM

Kultulz has a good idea about the air flow. A way you can check to see if the system is pulling air thru the radiator is to start the fan. Burn something in front of the radiator that makes some smoke. (I use an old peice of rubber with a lighter under it.) Check to see if if the smoke is going thr the front of the car, and thru the radiator. If not you have an air flow problem.
Old 06-23-2002, 09:15 PM

that idea on checking for exhaust gases in the coolant sounds like a good idea I got a buddy at a dealer ship he has a test kit made to check that I,ll just ask to borrow it to see if that is the prob, well I worked with the car a little more today still didn,t get any where just for the heck of it I sit the hood on the car for the first time with it running at about 205 degrees the front of the hood was all the way down but I had the back spaced up 3-1/2" just to see what the engine might do with a hood that was a big mistake it only took the engine 3 minutes to jump from 205 to 217 so I took it off quick the hood had gotten so hot I almost dropped before I could sit on the ground, even the air coming through radiator is so hot it could burn your hand if you kept it there more than a couple seconds,the exhaust out of the tail pipes is almost the same way. I also read the plugs they were black so this means its running rich could this be causing all this crazy heat build up? also as far as air through the radiator I checked the whole front surface with a small piece of cardboard its pulling air very hard every where on the front side of the rad,

[ June 23, 2002: Message edited by: dartonxx75 ]</p>
Old 06-23-2002, 10:26 PM

[quote]Originally posted by dartonxx75:
<strong>I have the 87 model mustang with a 460 bigblock engine. I am having serious overheating probs, the engine over say a 30 minute time span of running will slowly creap up to 210-215 degrees. I have droped the k-member down 2" so the motor sits lower in the engine bay so that I can use an 18" ford factory five blade v-belt driven flex fan& shroud it moves a ton of air but the engine still wants to get over 200 degrees I also use the griffen 2 row 1-1/4 per row aluminum radiator the core thickness measures at 2-5/8" which is the biggest radiator I could use, also I,m using a flow kooler brand water pump that is supposed to flow 30% more than stock. I have tried every thermostat out there but they seem to make the engine hotter quicker but without a themostat it does a little better. well if you have any clues on something that might be wrong with this settup please let me know thanks, kevin</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 06-23-2002, 10:34 PM

I have a 89GT Mustang that had overheating probs, especialy when towing my race car. Turned out to be the viscose fan slipping. But seeing how you have done so much I wonder if it may be cavitation, The pully may be wrong. If the water isn't going at the right pace it will not matter how much air is going through the radiator.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I have found an answer to this prob haven,t tried it yet but I think to over drive the water pump might do the trick I checked a few sites they claim an impeller style pump needs to move quickly to be more efficient well if speed is what the pump wants I can do? any after thoughts? I have a 6-1/4" pulley on the car now, I have a 4-1/4" pulley I have to bore the pilot hole from 5/8 to 3/4 " then try it,,,,,
Old 06-25-2002, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

i think there was an article in hot rod or street rodder the last 3 months about changing pulley size.i believe you may have to big of a difference in pulleys.it may be worth going through their past issues on the web. good luck,let us know what works.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.