Overheating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Overheating

I just moved my 35 P/U from Pa. to Tx. I keep overheating. I don't have a thermostat, The radiator has been flushed, The lower hose is not collapsed, the fan works electric fan also, radiator cap replaced.

What next?

Thanks for any help
Crusty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 05:09 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't have a thermostat
The problem... Put atleast a 180 degree thermostat in it and check it...
Old 09-06-2005, 05:39 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last journal entry: Wiring finished finally
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick
A therm will help slightly but if he's overheating, it's not going to solve the problem because his cooling system can't keep up, pretty much inevitable. Therm will open and close maybe twice then it'll purty much stay open the whole time after that since his cooling system's not keeping up. A lot tougher to keep engines cool here in Tx . What type of radiator do you have, the size of it(including core size, aka fin area), engine info, what waterpump? Your electric fan's definately part of the airflow problem. It's probably one of those after market "thin designed" fans which will flow like crap. Tons of people have problems with an aftermarket electric fan since they are overrated. They may say, "Flows an amazing 2600 cfm!!" Not true. For one, they get those rating from 0" of static pressure meaning no resistance for a real world situation. Secondly, whenever you attach the fan to your radiator, all of a sudden, you're coming in contact with about 3" of static pressure and those fans simply cannot keep up and their ratings, BOOM, plummit. So all of a sudden, that "amazing" fan just dropped to barely 1000 cfm if your lucky, enough to hold a dollar bill against the radiator.... maybe. It's pretty amazing how they keep selling those fans. People who do have luck with them are those who have smaller engines or live in cooler weather. If space permits, go for a clutch fan setup w/ a shroud or get yourself a GOOD production fan that actually works since they have good depth and pitch to their blades and can flow like a mother. Electric fans are good---if you can find the right one though which can be hard. Whenever you can fix your problem, then go ahead and put in a 180 therm.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:

I agree........first try a 180 thermostat.......

And for once......I agree with Classix Lover........

Most electric fans are garbage........especially the aftermarket ones....and I HATE electrical gizmos.......

Here is a photo of the water pump and fan on my 32 Roadster. I use a clutch fan.....it is 18" in diameter with 7 blades. It moves a bunch of air.....

Also in the photo is a Zip's Water Pump riser on my SBC. It raises the fan 5 and 1/2 inches.........so I can run a big diameter fan. The Zip also has the alternator and A/C compressor brackets cast into it.....

If you have the room..........a belt driven mechanical fan with a lot of blades and deflection can really help.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Quote:
Aspiring Restorer/Mechanic
Classix_Lover... Not to doubt what you listed but did also notice your 17...? Might consider listening to the guys that are out there every day doing this (like me)... If there is no thermostat or restriction at the water outlet of the engine then the constant flow with no time allowance for the radiator to do its job then it will run hot... It may not have done so where he is from due to the cooler temps and much less humidity which down here hampers cooling rather dramaticly... Unless you dont want to listen and learn you will never really understand what to do when problems like this come up... Also school wont teach you what the real world will... There are tech`s and there are mechanics...

99ragtop... Try the thermostat first and go from there...

I`m to guess then a thermostat was designed for some other purpose...? All these years I have been wrong...?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree as well. The thermostat will solve the problem, but it's not a bad idea to get rid of that electric fan as well.

The thermostat's job is to help regulate the internal temperature of the engine by slowing the movement of coolant so it stays in the radiator longer (both for initial warm up and for cooling). If it passes through the radiator to quickly it won't have a chance to loose its heat and will return to the engine already hot and with greatly diminished cooling capacity. On the other hand if there is no thermostat on start up the engine will not warm up quickly enough to limit the amount of wear on internal parts. Everything is designed to run at a specific temperature range so friction is limited. If it takes too long to "warm up" then the friction is increased and so is wear on all internal parts.

Last edited by Centerline; 09-06-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Overheating

there are at least 10 other threads on this. Search for overheating and read the threads. It is mostly all good info.
You definatly need a thermostat. Read teh other threads to learn why
Old 09-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I agree........first try a 180 thermostat.......

And for once......I agree with Classix Lover........

Most electric fans are garbage........especially the aftermarket ones....and I HATE electrical gizmos.......
Hooray!! Somebody finally agrees with me, lol , That's really cool to hear that from an experienced person. Unfortunately, I am running a custom dual setup that I hooked up in my 64 el camino. Supposed to cool my 454 riiiight?? NOPE! What a waste... No wonder I can't stand aftermarket electric fans. Oh yea Deuce, I think your the one that I think I upset a lonnng time ago because I think you somehow thought I referred to your car as a "kit" when I was asking about some fiberglass work(btw, thanks for whoever helped me out with that since I recently fixed my cracked fiberglass hood). Once again, I apologize if you thought I said it was because of course it isn't. Much more complex and I wouldn't dare take on something like that right now. Thanks again for your appraisal though . Btw, that motor's hottt!!

Awww, come on Bump. Don't beat me down cus I am still a rookie but eager to learn. I totally agree with you about the school comment though, definately doesn't teach you what the real world does, learned that about errrrrr, 6 yrs ago I think. I still do my work but I mostly sleep through school (4.27 avg and sleep through class, gotta love school... blahhhh)except for auto tech, I do like that class since I can work on my car/friends cars. I do have a job at a tranny shop and try to work full time if school permits and I learn every single day. Didn't mean to shoot you down b4 with my suggestions, go ahead and try the therm. first but it probably won't help in the long run like I said b4, it's inevitable if his cooling can't keep up(personal experience with that one). Also thought that techs and mechanics were basically the same but what do I know, I am only 17 after all .

Last edited by Classix_Lover; 09-06-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Classix_Lover... Good way to take it and will commend for the handling... (hehe... there is hope for you for sure...) Are you going to NTI...? A good friend of mine is a grad from there (Grad about 6 months ago) Also about the tech/mechanic thing... Nope they are no where near the same... A tech tries to figure it out but a mechanic fixes it...

One other thing on this problem... A $5 thermo is alot cheaper to start with than a high dollar fan or radiator setup...
Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classix_Lover
Oh yea Deuce, I think your the one that I think I upset a lonnng time ago because I think you somehow thought I referred to your car as a "kit" when I was asking about some fiberglass work(btw, thanks for whoever helped me out with that since I recently fixed my cracked fiberglass hood)..

Not me Tonto............

My 32 sheet metal is all Henry Ford steel.........Both of them...the Roadster and the 3W

I think you may have upset 302/Z28........ His is fiberglass........but not a kit...in the truest form. His is a recreation, in fiberglass, of a early Ford........sourced from many different vendors....

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Music soothes the soul

Last photo:

Quote:
Classix_Lover... Good way to take it and will commend for the handling... (hehe... there is hope for you for sure...) Are you going to NTI...? A good friend of mine is a grad from there (Grad about 6 months ago) Also about the tech/mechanic thing... Nope they are no where near the same... A tech tries to figure it out but a mechanic fixes it...

One other thing on this problem... A $5 thermo is alot cheaper to start with than a high dollar fan or radiator setup...
Lol, yea about the 5 dollar thermo being cheaper, go for that first but be prep'd to do a lil more spending. I'm going to SJ college here in Houston. 2 yr program, get a degree, and can enter as a entry lvl mechanic/tech. If I pass the ASE cert. test for 3 areas I want to pursue(engine, electrical blah blah blah), then in 1 yr after working at a shop, I'll get certified and hopefully make the big dolla numbers . I have heard of NTI but I'll look more into that .

Hey Deuce, I think it was you (for one I can remember your 2 rdstr pics )cuz I was asking someone else about fiberglass and said something about panels and I guess I referred to your 32 somehow but I forgot (I'll have to dig deep in the posts to find it if I want ). Anyway, long story short, I'm convinced not to swap out steel body panels for glass even if it saves weight. Tricky/messy to work with if a crack develops and from what I'm hearing, warps and doesn't leave as good as a paint finish as steel does. I'll stand by steel with exception of glass hood.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.