Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Overheating due to chrome engine parts?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMike View Post
I'm building a 454 bbc & I've just started ordering parts for it & I was looking to dress the motor up alittle with some chrome pieces (intake, carb, valve covers, etc) but was informed that chrome engine parts draw more heat, is this true?
There might be a slight difference in heat retention, but nothing to worry about. Aluminum valve covers can shed heat better than steel if heat is a concern.

There are durable chrome-like carb and intake finishes available, but usually they're not actually chrome anymore. Look almost like it, though. Edelbrock has Endurashine intakes and carbs as well as polished intakes. They also have a line of dress up parts.

The biggest problem w/chrome dress up parts (valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, breathers, air cleaners, etc.) is the fit.

Oil pans and timing covers are notorious for having a poor fit when they're cheaper quality aftermarket parts. Both have a seemingly simple shape for the most part- especially the timing cover, but there are areas on both that are thicker/reinforced on the factory parts that may be missing on aftermarket parts.

Bottom line is to use the good quality parts. Besides the Edelbrock parts, GM has licensed Proform to do their dress up parts, so that's another place to check out.

Good luck.

Last edited by cobalt327; 01-18-2013 at 09:55 PM.