Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Overheating due to chrome engine parts?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMike View Post
I'm building a 454 bbc & I've just started ordering parts for it & I was looking to dress the motor up alittle with some chrome pieces (intake, carb, valve covers, etc) but was informed that chrome engine parts draw more heat, is this true?
Well there's some old sayings about this; "Chrome Don't Get Ya Home" and "If It Don't Go, Chrome It.

Basically polished surfaces don't radiate heat well, this includes chrome. To a large extent it depends on whether you're building for show or go. The go guys looking for every edge don't use chrome or polished surfaces as they reduce heat transfer which can be a problem epecially on an endurance engine where it's expected to deliver a lot of power for a long time and becasue of aerodynamic qualities, the radiator size is just enough to do the job and no more. For an average street driver, or drag racer, either the time at temp isn't enough to be critical or the increased amount of temp dumped into the cooling system is inconsequential.

So let your end use be your guide.

Bogie