Overheating?? & Question on blower ratio? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2002, 08:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Overheating?? & Question on blower ratio?

Hey everyone,I'm 17 and just got my first car,67 RS camaro. I took out the 327 and put a 454 in it. It's pretty much stock expect for a pair of polished and ported heads and a mild cam. The problem is it's running too hot. Just driving around town it gets around 225-230. I just put a new 1.25 aluminum radiator and a flex-fan. There's no shroud on the car yet, but should that make a big difference? When i drive on the highway, it still gets around 215-220, so i dont think it's a air-flow problem? If anyone knows how I can fix this, let me know please. Also, I just bought a 6-71 blower and i know that's gonna make it run hotter. So i need to fix this problem? The blower pulley is a 33 tooth, but i still need to buy the crank pulley, does anyone know how I can figure out the ratio so I'll make it underdriving around 5%? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2002, 05:07 PM

Hey thier chamz_16_2003. You lucky dog, being your first car! Say sorry it took so long to respond, read this a couple days ago but could not find my books on blowers, to answer your questions. I do know it is very hot at the bridge, my boy Brian Morgan lives in bullhead and i use to live out that way myself.I would definitly get a shroud, it will help! Also the biggest stainless flex fan that will fit in the shroud! The biggest blades, you dont need one that spins to 12000 rpm, you only will see 6500 at most. Also if you dont have a cowl induction hood on there now, it will run hot, even at highway speeds because thier is not enough area for the air to escape from your engine compartment!So as for the blower pulley thing, I guess its a weiand blower. I put one on my 69 camaro, sb-355 9-1 compession. My chart says you will need a 35 tooth pulley, but you will need to put the 33 on the crank or bottom pulley. they are interchangeable! You have a lot of things to buy to get this puppy running, trust me I know. Write me back if you have more questions. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 06:37 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

I don't know about the whole blower thing, cause I don't know alot about forced induction, but have you thought about changing the thermostat? If you get a cooler one it will open sooner and start circulating the water to help it run cooler. Just a thought. Oh and the shroud will help, too.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:11 AM

Sorry bigblock but a colder t-stat will not help the engine run cooler. It is true that the water will start circulating sooner but if it runs at 210 it will still get up to 210, it will just take a little longer. I would suggest getting an aluminum radiator with as much cooling capacity as you can get into the RS especially if you are going to add a blower. Add the shroud and a cowl induction hood. They look really cool anyway.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:05 PM
Missing You

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by Mertz:
<strong>Sorry bigblock but a colder t-stat will not help the engine run cooler. It is true that the water will start circulating sooner but if it runs at 210 it will still get up to 210, it will just take a little longer. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for explaining that.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.