overheating solution? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

overheating solution?

I have a 56 Plymouth with a 408 stroker motor that overheats after about 7 miles of normal driving. Overheating is to 210 or higher. Everything is new on this car including the gauge. It has a custom built aluminum radiator with dual puller fans in a custom built shroud. I am running a 30% antifreeze mixture with Redline Water Wetter. The thermostat is brand new and the car seems to run cooler with a thermostat versus without. A laser thermometer indicated a much higher reading on one header tube than all the others indicating a lean condition on that cylinder which I need to run down. I am in Florida so the ambient temperature is pretty high right now. This winter the problem will go away due to lower air temperature.

The shroud fails to cover the lower 3-4" of the radiator core. The design of the gravel shield behind the bumper is such that it does not permit that lower portion of the radiator to pick up air from under the car.

I am considering adding a pusher fan in front of the radiator and cutting a series of 2-3" holes in the gravel shield to allow air to come in through the bottom. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Doug

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

overheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsoldcars
I have a 56 Plymouth with a 408 stroker motor that overheats after about 7 miles of normal driving. Overheating is to 210 or higher. Everything is new on this car including the gauge. It has a custom built aluminum radiator with dual puller fans in a custom built shroud. I am running a 30% antifreeze mixture with Redline Water Wetter. The thermostat is brand new and the car seems to run cooler with a thermostat versus without. A laser thermometer indicated a much higher reading on one header tube than all the others indicating a lean condition on that cylinder which I need to run down. I am in Florida so the ambient temperature is pretty high right now. This winter the problem will go away due to lower air temperature.

The shroud fails to cover the lower 3-4" of the radiator core. The design of the gravel shield behind the bumper is such that it does not permit that lower portion of the radiator to pick up air from under the car.

I am considering adding a pusher fan in front of the radiator and cutting a series of 2-3" holes in the gravel shield to allow air to come in through the bottom. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Doug
The bottom of the radiator is what needs the air to cool the most. The stat will make a difference as it only opens at whatever it is, letting water flow so with no stat. and the water not being cooled by the air passing through you are just letting hot water back in to the engine with the stat it will slow that water down and give the air a Chance to cool it some. a stat that is too small say 160 will let the water through faster than one say 190, which will let the water cool more.

Having the space on the bottom doesn't help, also are the fans pulling enough air. how far into the shroud do the fans go.

Bob
Old 08-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Thanks Bob,
I didn't realize a higher temp thermostat would aid cooling. I thought it would just make the car overheat more readily. I will have to try a higher temp stat when I get back to the car in a couple of weeks.

I think the fans displace enough air. They are 11" SPAL fans mounted side by side and are in the shroud pretty well. Space is very limited so they are into the shroud.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsoldcars
Thanks Bob,
I didn't realize a higher temp thermostat would aid cooling. I thought it would just make the car overheat more readily. I will have to try a higher temp stat when I get back to the car in a couple of weeks.

I think the fans displace enough air. They are 11" SPAL fans mounted side by side and are in the shroud pretty well. Space is very limited so they are into the shroud.
The fans should be no more than 1/2 blade into shroud as it will cause turbulence in the air. you have to get air into the bottom of the rad, that is where the hottest water is, if you don't you are not taking full advantage of your Rad. There might be other things, but you should go one step at a time.

Does your shroud go all the way to the bottom of the Rad. If not IMO you are going to have to change some things, so that the shroud goes down there, and the fans pull air down there. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it will only work when it's right.

Bob
Old 08-27-2011, 03:19 PM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

I do not think changing the thermostat will make any difference. The only difference between a 160 degree and a 190 degree thermostat is the temperature at which it opens. Once they are open they are open and allow the coolant to flow at the same rate. Changing to a 190 thermostat from a 160 would only allow the temp to rise 30 degrees higher before the coolant starts flowing.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

overheating

if our worried about the stat temp.. u can go to a marine store and get a 140 stat.. drill two 1/8" holes in the stat flange close to the opening to allow air to escape when filling..
Old 08-27-2011, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

I have two 12 inch fans one is mounted high right and one bottom left . A home made fan shroud 3/16 alum .mounted one inch from rad. Rubber gasket on top and sides nothing on the bottom. So air can push threw . 105 temp setting at McDonald's it held 190. With a 160 stat. You can put a dollar bill on the grill and it will stay.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

408 cid.

what engine make and year?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. The engine is a Mopar 360 LA that is bored and stroked to 408 c.i.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.