overheating - unable to get air out of my cooling system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

overheating - unable to get air out of my cooling system

i think thats the problem atleast. Its a 350 with a 671 weiand blower and I've been having problems with it overheating. I have a huge aluminum radiator, aluminum high flow water pump and a flex fan. I have another 67 camaro with a similar fan setup, except it has a factory radiator and no heater core...that car never overheats.

I was wondering what the proper way to get the air out of the cooling system is? I let it get up to temp with the radiator cap off and it started spewing tons of coolant out of the radiator and i immediately turned it off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Do you have a shroud, if not you need one.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 PM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

I saw this post on team camaro aswell.
to fill the system I usually fill the radiator to near the top.
I also remove the upper hose at the radiator and fill the block(works for high flow thermostats)
it will take a bit to fill that btw cuz there is small holes.
Or if you have a flush kit instaled you can crack the cap to expell air from there.(air goes to the highest point of the cooling system)
once filled I turn heater full on to get air outta there.
Im almost positive you probly got a lower hose that is collapsing on ya.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkostoj
i think thats the problem atleast. Its a 350 with a 671 weiand blower and I've been having problems with it overheating. I have a huge aluminum radiator, aluminum high flow water pump and a flex fan. I have another 67 camaro with a similar fan setup, except it has a factory radiator and no heater core...that car never overheats.

I was wondering what the proper way to get the air out of the cooling system is? I let it get up to temp with the radiator cap off and it started spewing tons of coolant out of the radiator and i immediately turned it off.
You probably don't need a high flow pump. Given these things are hardly, if, ever rated in gallons per minute at specific RPMs it's always hard to impossible to tell what the delivery is compared to any other pump. This is a place where more isn't necessiarly better. For competition engines that see long duration high RPMs, it is not uncommon to reduce the size of the pump impellers or remove some of them to reduce the high speed flow to something that doesn't blow coolant out everywhere.

Typically street/strip engine temperature is controlled by a thermostat. This immediatly tells you that the pump and radiator have excess cooling capacity and that the variable restriction of the thermostat reduces the velocity and amount of return coolant from the engine to the radiator, thus managing engine temperature.

Competition engines usually use a fixed orifice to achive a consistent temperature once the motor is warmed up. This is a cut and try process that will vary the size of the orifice depending on operating environment and engine speed.

Running a high volume pump without any means to manage coolant flow will always result in coolant blowing out of the radiator if the engine is run with the cap removed.

If you can't get the system bled of trapped air, you can assume:

1. The air is really steam from internal overheating spots or the result of pump cavitation.

----or-----

2. There is a blown head gasket, which is a real possibility with a blower, and you're seeing mixture being blowing into the cooling system.

Bogie
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

If you are blowing coolant out of a crossflow radiator you have a serious problem. The cap is on the cold side of the core.

Are you getting 25* drop across the radiator when the coolant is getting hot?
Check with an infrared thermometer.

Remember, any big radiator requires an overdriven water pump or high flow pump to keep tube turbulence for coolant transfer.

MOST flex fans are of limited cooling value. I strongly suggest a stock type 7 blade with thermostatic fan clutch.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.