Overwhelmed by radiator choices: 37 chevy - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have to chuckle when I hear people talking about "correct" looking radiators, when their old car has a modern V8 engine in it. What's correct looking about a hotrod with lots of mods?
Get any radiator that cools well, is well built, and fits well.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Last journal entry: Moving my Journal
Last photo:

That's true, however some older cars like my '31 Chevy show the radiator externally, so perhaps some people want the original appearance from outside of the car. Other than that, I don't know.

I might be wrong here but if I bought a radiator and it began leaking I would be inclined to want it replaced for free.

Brandon
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman61
That's true, however some older cars like my '31 Chevy show the radiator externally, so perhaps some people want the original appearance from outside of the car. Other than that, I don't know.

I might be wrong here but if I bought a radiator and it began leaking I would be inclined to want it replaced for free.

Brandon
He had it for about 10 years before it started leaking. So getting it at cost was a bargain. Guess I should have mention that before.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

As we all know, anything mechanical and built by a human can go haywire. So you buy the best unit you can afford, be it copper/brass or aluminum. Easy fix on the shiny alum. is to paint the front with black radiator paint along with the AC condensor if thats what you need to do.

I know Deuce doesn't like the mig welded look and thats fine but I think it shows the quality and craftsmanship of the part .....and yes I have seen some REALLY chitty looking aluminum radiators. Looks like the welder (???) was drunk or just plain couldn't tig weld, no wonder some leak. Do your research, talk to hot rodders and buy what suits you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2188.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	951.4 KB
ID:	64241   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2024.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	64242  
Old 03-28-2012, 10:37 AM

1937 Chev

I put a 1990 walker rad in my chev. However at that time they were making a 2 core rad, supercooler that was very thin and it fit in perfectly. However it has started to leak at the corners and I now have a new rad from Walker to put it in that is thicker.

On the 37 there is a cross brace that goes across the front from fender to fender in front of the rad. To put the rad in I have to cut this and reweld it or just leave it off. Those of you with 37's have you just cut this brace or did you cut it and extend it toward the front of the grill.

Also with a manual fan, and a/c I find that if I am idling in traffic the air will not blow ice cold so am looking at a pusher fan on the front.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:

I just cut that cross brace out completely in my 38
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Last journal entry: Moving my Journal
Last photo:

I took it out and replaced it with a core support from Chassis Engineering.

Brandon
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM

I have a Griffin aluminum radiator with 2700 CFM Electric Fan with Hotronics Control in my 1936 GMC with a built SBC. 12 years old with no leaks and no cooling problems.
Terry
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM

Last photo:

Only thing to add is to use a good quality radiator cap. One of the local street rodders put an LS into his mid-30s chev coupe. Very small radiator, very warm engine and lots of rodder stuff in the way: a/c, ign box, power steering etc etc. His car would run hot, then the car would conk out. He ended up having to move all the electrics inside the cabin. Of course his money leather interior, custom headliner, hidden wiring and 'flip flop' paint job...made this an absolute horror show.

He asked my Dad what he thought "you're asking the wrong guy, I have drum brakes, manual steering, roll up windows and a stock OEM 55 chevy radiator I had in front of a 402, 307 and hot 327 and she never overheats'

Turns out mr checkbook rodder had the wrong (or faulty) billet cap, the fan wired in wrong, the wrong thermostat and an aluminum rad with glued on tanks and no room for a shroud apparently.

Me? a good fan, a Stant cap, a SHROUD, the proper amount of properly mixed coolant and adequate room is all you need
Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM

As stated earlyer, you get what you pay for. I recently got reminded this after purchasing a aluminum champion radiator. picture looked good, said it would fit my 50 wayfarer just like factory. It fit after a lil metal bending and buying differant size hoses. So far it is keeping it cool, but the welds look like crap, top tank scratched and dinged (shiped that way) plus the shop i got it from said id have it in 4 days an it took 2 weeks to get it an gave me 3 differant storys why i didnt get it when i was supposed to.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.