oxy acetalene pressure - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

oxy acetalene pressure

what should I set my gages at for just basic heating and light cutting less then 1/4" thick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

Actually there is no "one size fits all" and the answer would depend on several things, such as tip size and what you would be using it for. For cutting steel around 1/4" you would need to determine the tip size, a couple of sizes would work ok and the specific size no. would depend on torch brand and type but a decent starting point would be about 3 to 5 PSI on the fuel and about 20 to 25 PSI on the Oxygen. As long the fuel is set high enough to deliver the volume required then the actual setting will not matter much as long as you keep it well under the safety limit (15 PSI for Acetylene, NEVER exceed that!) but it should be high enough so that the flame will start to break away from the tip without oxygen as the valve is opened. The Oxygen setting makes a huge difference when cutting however and that is something you will need to develop a "feel" for. This is not at all hard to learn and with a bit of practice you should catch on quickly, too much Oxygen will not only waste it but will result in a poor cut with an exaggerated kerf while not enough will result in failure to cut all the way through, blow-backs and lots of slag. Of course the wrong tip can and will cause these same problems so until you get the hang of it a chart for your particular brand of torch should help immensely in selecting the right tips and settings. No matter what anyone tells you there just is not any one setting that works for everything and adjusting the pressure settings is just part of the process and will need to be done for whatever task is at hand.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 PM

tttttt

thanks that helps will practice with it
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 PM

Last journal entry: V/W Outboard

oxy acetalene pressure.

The Regulators for Oxy-Act should be set to 7 PSI for both the Gases, when you are welding.

When Cutting, the Oxy is set to 40 Psi. and the Act is still 7 PSI.

If you have a problem with Tip Size, (Poping back) increase Pressures.
Should not be more than 10 PSI for either.
This usually occures when to close to the work and the tip is the wrong size.

The way to adjust the torch is
"Turn on the Act" a small amount.
Light it. It will Smoke a lot.
Open the act valve more until it just quits Smoking. This is for any size tip.
Then Open Oxy until you get a Flame that is Burning clean.
A soft Flame has Excess Act and is Fuzzy with a long Soft Flame.
With an Excess Oxy flame, The flame is very Sharp, and Shortens with more OXY.
The Soft Flame is good for Slow heating as in Silver Brazing or Soldering of Radiators. It does not Oxidize the surface.
The excess Oxy is "Ain't no good for anything".
Some folks like it to speed-up pre heat when cutting. I don't think it Speeds anything But Burning of the Metal. It causes Oxidation, and this slows the Preheat.
Anyway, the best way is to jump in.
DoNOT allow the flame to Pop Back into the torch!!
This will damage the Torch and Burn up the Seals.
If it Pops Back, You have the wrong size Tip for the Job.
Happy Trails
Bob
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Allen
When Cutting, the Oxy is set to 40 Psi. and the Act is still 7 PSI.

If you have a problem with Tip Size, (Poping back) increase Pressures.
Should not be more than 10 PSI for either.
This usually occures when to close to the work and the tip is the wrong size.

Bob

No that is just plain wrong! 40 PSI Oxygen to cut 1/4" plate, are you kidding? That is exactly what I was talking about NOT doing, there simply is no one setting that does everything for cutting and welding and anyone who says there is does not know what he's talking about! Also unless he's using a very large tip 7 PSI on the Acetylene is more than enough and turning higher would make no difference, Acetylene pressure does not matter as long as it is high enough to deliver enough volume to the tip.

A cutting torch is adjusted by first making sure all the valves are off then just crack the Acetylene valve, open it until the flame just starts to break away from the tip then close it slightly until the flame just reattaches. The next step depends on the type of torch, if it only has one Oxygen valve then open that slowly and watch the inner flame. Continue opening the valve and as the inner flame gets smaller there will be sharp defined cones with a "feather" flame of a lighter color emanating from them, continue opening the valve until that "feather" just disappears and no more than that. Trigger the cutting lever and see if the "feather" reappears slightly (it usually will just a tiny bit) then adjust that "feather" out while holding the cutting lever open, if the inner "feather" is large when it reappears after depressing the cutting lever (if it reappears more than about 1/2" long or longer) then shut the torch off and increase the Oxygen pressure on the gauges about 5 PSI more. An excessive "feather" reappearing when the cutting lever is tripped is indicative of the Oxygen pressure being set too low. If the torch design has two Oxygen valves then the process will be exactly the same but open the one on the handle (the one beside the Acetylene valve) ALL the way and then adjust that inner flame using the one on the cutting torch. Telling someone to just set torch gauges to any one setting, 10 PSI for fuel/40 PSI for O2 is just plain nonsense!

buggyman, Not sure what brand torch you have but since you have been given conflicting advice I will provide a link to Victor, the most common type. This works for most Victor and the very common Victor clones out there, if your torch uses a Victor tip then this chart is just the ticket.

http://tekindoor.com/welding/victor-cutting-guide/

As you can see there are wide variations in pressure settings and these are guidelines not absolute settings that must be used, you can vary one way or the other as the situation demands but this comes naturally after using your torch for a while. NEVER exceed the safety limit of 15 PSI on the Acetylene, you will probably never need that much pressure anyway and if 7 to 8 PSI is not enough then your tip is too small unless you're cutting some really heavy stuff with a large tip that exceeds the hose capacity at 7 to 8 PSI. As long as the Acetylene is set high enough for the flame to break away from the tip then going any higher does nothing, Acetylene on a torch is a matter of volume not pressure so in other words if the pressure is high enough for a proper flame then the torch simply would not know the difference, setting a higher pressure would only result in less opening of the fuel valve.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
if 7 to 8 PSI is not enough then your tip is too small unless you're cutting some really heavy stuff with a large tip that exceeds the hose capacity at 7 to 8 PSI..

I made a mistake there, that should have been tip too large, but the thing is for 7 to 8 PSI to not be enough it would have to be a really big tip or a very small restrictive hose in relation to the tip. Just use the manufacturers guidelines and you will not go wrong. Sorry about the error.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

welding-cutting site

There is a lot of info on the Welding Tips and Tricks website. He usually has a short video each week, reviews of new products. some stuff he sells and other stuff other companies have.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:23 AM

oxy acetalene pressure.

I believe what the gentleman is Saying about the "Victor Chart" is a Excellent Suggestion.
I was tought that when cutting, 40psi will Cut clean with
the Correct Size Tip.
One size does NOT do all.
If a person only has one size tip, Then invest in a good Grinder.
If an individual does a lot of Cutting, then invest in several Cutting "Heads".
One for each size that is used most.
You can "Push" a torch, but, sometimes it is a rough Finished Job.
If I were the Group, I think you should listen to The Other Man.
His way does work.
I enjoy a good discussion.
That is how you learn.
Thanks Group.
Bob
Old 11-06-2011, 02:57 PM

tttttt

good info guys I have victor 2 stage ?? industrial gauges smith torch, size 12-0 12-3 12-2 12-4 tips 3/16" hose 25' long just use it in my garage vary rarely to heat and maybe cut a little mosltly to haet and bend stuff on occasion this site is great thanks for the help
Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 PM

tttttt

went out and hooked everything up have a question shouls I be able to hear the oxygen flowing thru regulator I only hear it with torch open if I shut it off the gages stayput the pressure does not drop sound normal???
Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

What kind of sound are you hearing? Try this, close the tank valve then bleed the pressure off the regulator then open the torch cutting lever. With the lever still depressed and the regulator adjusted all the way out to zero turn the tank back on and see if you get any Oxygen flow, you should not and if you do the regulator is leaking internally.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:42 PM

ttttt

the noise is kinda hollow like !! I went out and did what you said and no oxygen flowing out so reg is working I guees what I'm hearing is normal I'll listen to one at work in the maintnece dept and see how they sound
Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM

oxy acetalene pressure.

Bugger;
It sounds like BigRed is telling you wright.
Yes. You can hear the Gas passing thru the Reg.
We here use Micro Minature Torches About the size of a Ball Point Pin
We put a two Stage Butane Reg in series With the Victor with Pressure set at 5 Psi.
The 2 Stage Butane Reg drops it to .8 Psi... Read that again.
We also cut 14 Inch Hot Roll Plate... Read that again.
LargeRed is Correct. You can't Just say that one size fits All.
Get you a Heavy Duty 9 Inch Grinder and many Pebbles.
You may need em.
Anyway Start at 40 PSI and play.
Make sure you have the "Anti Blow Back" valves .
Always be aleart that no one puts ANY oil on the OXY thraeds.
You then have a "ONE CYLINDER DISEL".
I have seen Two men Killed.
Totally Cut in Half.
Have a happy Day.
Bob

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.