Oxy - Acetylene guages - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
BernieB

Wiki Edits: 0

Oxy - Acetylene guages

I recently purchased an Ox / Acy cutting after market set, with guages. I tried to cut 1/2" metal and was successful in cutting only one piece. Wondering if I am having problems with this new Acetylete Guage or if I am not handling setting correctly. I am using 5 lbs of Acy. pressure to cut. The Main pressure reading is about 150 when tank regulator handle is about 1/2 turn open, yet after I light torch and begin to open valve on handle, the main guage goes down very quickly to Zero. If I then turn the acyletene turn knob on the handle off, the main guage reading goes back up. I am unable to find a happy medium where I can get enough acytleyere going thru the tip to heat the metal. After a couple of unsuccessful tries, I relight the tip and issue appears to resolve. Can anyone offer an explanation of what I might be doing wrong , or am I having a guage issue?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

5 PSI Acetelene/ 50 PSI oxy is a good place to start.. if your regulators won't maintain consistant preassures they might be no good
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site.

Cole
Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 AM

Last photo:

You don't have the valve on top of the tank itself open far enough.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

.....or if it's a single stage gauge/regulator set, you may have to 'crank' up the acetylene pressure to maintain 5-7 psig at the handle, i.e. like a paint gun.

Open the handle valves, then adjust the regulator so you get the 5-7 psig. This should also be the pressure when you hold the cut lever down as well. Yes, you will waste a bit, but that's the problem with single stage units.

Now ensure the tank valves are all the way open and you still have a problem, check out the anti flash back check valve in the hose line, supposed to be at the handle end - make sure it's installed the right flow direction and at the handle, not the tank end of the hose. There shouldn't be a direction problem as the fittings are male/female, but who knows - so many of our common tools are made elsewhere that things happen. Don't operate without these valves - a burning hose isn't pretty

Dave W
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

If I am understanding this correctly he is saying the main gauge is falling to zero so if that is the case the torch adjustments or backflow valves would not cause the problem nor will the secondary (regulated) pressure gauge. If the main gauge reading tank pressure is what is falling to zero then either the valve is not open far enough or the brass mesh filter is plugged up, this is in the end of the stem from the regulator (gauges) that screws into the tank fitting. If that main gauge is falling then the problem is definitely at the tank valve, either the valve is not open far enough or that regulator is plugged, either way the problem is the Acetylene is not getting from the tank into the regulator fast enough to maintain pressure.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

set the pressure with the mixing handle valve open for both the oxy and the acy.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

How to adjust the torch is not the problem here nor does the torch itself have anything to do with it, he has a problem with the thing starving for gas-"the main pressure gauge falls to zero". This can be NOTHING else but an obstruction at the regulator tank/connection (or possibly a failed regulator), either it is plugged up or the valve was not opened far enough and having him fiddle around trying to adjust the torch will not help.

Last edited by oldred; 02-15-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

2 things at work here, the op has no knowledge of how to use the torch and he has single stage regulators.

If you set the reg at X psi with no flow, then open the mixing body valve ,the presssure will drop.

If the gauge is reading inaccurately the 5 indicated maybe less, then when he induces flow less becomes less yet.

the ratio of acy to oxy is 1/4. 1/2 inch carbon steel will cut clean and easy at 5 /25 with a #2 tip.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
2 things at work here, the op has no knowledge of how to use the torch and he has single stage regulators.

If you set the reg at X psi with no flow, then open the mixing body valve ,the presssure will drop.

If the gauge is reading inaccurately the 5 indicated maybe less, then when he induces flow less becomes less yet.

the ratio of acy to oxy is 1/4. 1/2 inch carbon steel will cut clean and easy at 5 /25 with a #2 tip.

That has nothing to do with what the man asked.

He said the MAIN pressure gauge drops to zero when he opens the torch valve, NOTHING you can do with the torch will cause the main tank pressure gauge (two or single stage) to fall to zero unless the tank is empty! You can adjust the torch until the knobs fall off and it won't change that main tank pressure reading, nothing will cause that except an obstruction at the tank regulator connection or the tank valve not being opened far enough. The ONLY thing that can cause that problem is the gas being drawn off faster than the tank can supply it to the regulator, if the connection is clear and the tank valve is opened far enough you could chop the hose in two and that particular gauge would only drop slightly until the tank pressure falls. Telling this fella to adjust his torch will only confuse the situation because the problem is obviously at the tank not at the torch. This is a very common problem, laying an Acetylene tank on it's side can cause the bronze regulator filter (actually a better description is strainer) to become clogged, dirt or other debris in the tank valve when the regulator is installed is another common cause and simply not opening the valve far enough is a very common cause.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That has nothing to do with what the man asked.

He said the MAIN pressure gauge drops to zero when he opens the torch valve, NOTHING you can do with the torch will cause the main tank pressure gauge (two or single stage) to fall to zero unless the tank is empty! You can adjust the torch until the knobs fall off and it won't change that main tank pressure reading, nothing will cause that except an obstruction at the tank regulator connection or the tank valve not being opened far enough. The ONLY thing that can cause that problem is the gas being drawn off faster than the tank can supply it to the regulator, if the connection is clear and the tank valve is opened far enough you could chop the hose in two and that particular gauge would only drop slightly until the tank pressure falls. Telling this fella to adjust his torch will only confuse the situation because the problem is obviously at the tank not at the torch. This is a very common problem, laying an Acetylene tank on it's side can cause the bronze regulator filter (actually a better description is strainer) to become clogged, dirt or other debris in the tank valve when the regulator is installed is another common cause and simply not opening the valve far enough is a very common cause.
Dam if I didnt misread the first post

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.