Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Oxy Acetylene Info Needed
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderdave007
i keep my rig at 20 oxy and 7-8 acty but im an a/c guy what do i know

At the risk of starting an argument here I have to say that for welding the regulator setting has little to do with it as long as the pressure is high enough to deliver the needed volume. There has long been arguments of where to set the regulator for proper welding pressure but actually the best setting is the lowest practical pressure that delivers the right gas volume to the torch tip. If it is too high then the flame will still be the same but the control valve will not be open as far. The fact is the flame at the tip will not know the difference between a pressure setting of, for instance, 5 PSI or 15 PSI on the fuel side, certainly the line pressure will be higher but the gas pressure in the discharge side of the control valve will be the same as long as the flame is adjusted the same. Raising the fuel or Oxygen pressure on the regulator simply raises the potential for a larger flame and if the flow is adjusted to any given amount of volume with the control knob at the torch then the the flame will never know the difference, the difference will be that the control knob will not be opened as far with the higher line pressure.