Oxy Acetylene Questions..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 12:17 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oxy Acetylene Questions.....

Hello to all. Nice night were having here. I'm looking to get me a gas welding outfit, and am having some questions...... I'm almost sold on a Victor unit. I've thought about buying used on Ebay, but I don't want to buy someone elses used ratty stuff. I want to get a new set up, that I know will work the first time I hook it up. So, In my searching on eBay, I've found a Victor unit that goes by the handle of the Advantage II kit. It is supposed to have the 250 series regulators, I can't tell what torch handle or cutting attachment, Thats where you come in. Has anyone here ever used the Victor Advantage II set? any thoughts on it? Also, I've run across several kits by Smith Welding. Any feedback on the Smith brand? Is Smith a Victor compatible brand I wonder? I went to the Victor site, and I can't find any info on the advantage kits..... I also found nothing in the search here for smith welding.... so how about it rodders? As usual, thanks in advance for your time, and have a great evening.
CL.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 01:16 AM

....Hi Crazy Larry, Not sure if this is of any help or not because I have no idea about these particular kits. What I do know is that recently I went down and purchased a welding kit. I just bought the kit with hoses, the tips & torch & regulators. I already had the tanks at home from years ago. I bought the cheapest kit cuz I figured it wouldn't matter. A couple of weeks later I went to hook up the regulators and they wouldn't fit! I then found out that they have different size regulators for different tanks. I had the large tanks & the small regulators. I then had to go and buy an adapter. Not really a big thing, just an inconvenience. You might already know this, in which case just ignore this. But in case it helps, then great.... Bill....
Old 09-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Old enough to know better

Smith is an old-line welding company. You'll find a awful lot of professional welders choose that brand. Victor and Harris are good too. Watch out a little for Morris - a import Harris copy as far as I can tell.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:03 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Harbor Freight $89.00 Included backflow preventers and 3 different heating tips along with cutting tip. Works just a good as my Victors.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:50 AM

I would take a Smith as the first choice, they have never let me down. Victor is a decent brand though, you wouldn't go wrong with them either.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:07 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

thanks for the input guys. all good to know.

I think there is some regional flavorability as far as Smith and Victor are concerned. only deciding factor there is the fact that my local people sell parts for victor almost exclusively. they can get the smith stuff, but it's not like you can walk in and pick up a tip if you needed to.......

Jeff, your harbor freight kit, can you find tips for it?

the only thing about anything chinese made is where can i get it worked on? I know if i have a problem with a victor or smith, i can get it fixed.

for what I was going to pay for regulators and shipping on ebay, I found a set that has the same regulators, and everything else I'd need to get.also on ebay. it's a buy it now, and it's always there, so i'll drop a link

it's not HF priced, but i think it'd do. you reckon?

this guy also carries Smith, looks like the comparable Smith set up is about a bill more?....
but that nickle finish shore is purty.

Last edited by crazy larry; 10-01-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Oxy/ Acet Frame Welding

Can anyone tell me before Mig and Tig and ARC welding came about.

What filler rod or technique did old race car drivers use with Oxy/Acet to build their roll cages and tubular frames?

Delta
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

I'd use the same rod as I do for TIG. 70-S2 You can get 70-S6 which is a bit cleaner but more expensive. both copper coated.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 PM

Last photo:

It has been a while since it was used, but I had one old body man want me to save the wire used on hay bales. but hay comes with nylon strings now.
I use the wire feed wire pieces that I pull out of the gun when the wire jambs, and creates a "birdnest".
Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
33 Pontiac 3W Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltafour1212
Can anyone tell me before Mig and Tig and ARC welding came about.

What filler rod or technique did old race car drivers use with Oxy/Acet to build their roll cages and tubular frames?

Delta
Coat hanger still works pretty good.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

Ok this is a seven year old thread just so everyone is aware of that.

Now about the advice to use hay bail wire and coat hanger, with due respect to you guys that's still a very bad idea. Coat hanger may be the old stand by for welding exhaust pipe and it may work ok for that but NEVER EVER use it for a weld that requires strength! Coat hanger and bail quality wire is made of "unkowneum", basically just scrap with an unknown alloy and carbon content plus it's just plain full of junk. Even regular quality TIG/gas wire should not be used for something like a roll cage and a good name brand (such as Linde) virgin alloy wire should be used. Never weld with junk unless you are welding on junk!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.