Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - OXY~ACETYLENE !!!!! Safety!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

WOW..talk about bringing a thread back from the dead!..lol
But i've never seen this one,mostly because i am not here much in the past 2 years or so because i have been into the 4x4'n,Jeeps and Early Bronco "FAD" lately..lol

I have to agree with krazyone 100%,not because i am also an International Ironworker and been in the trade for 30+ years,but i've also ALWAYS been told Oxy-40 PSI,Acetylene-7 PSI...and the oxy valve wide open..and the Acetylene valve 1/2 way.
This is also and has always been the practice of Pipefitters,Boilermakers,Millwrights and Specialty Welders companys and any Fab shops i've ever worked around the country and Apprenticeship classes.

The reason i have been told is that the Acetylene valve is not designed for "wide open"....the acetone in the bottle used to dissolve Acetylene when refilled can get to the seal if the valve is wide open and
cracking the valve wide open can cause the Acetylene to be even more unstable as it already is because of the high pressure being exerted through the gauges....whether this is true or not?..i don't know,but i tend to use those practices because we go through "thorough" safety classes and STRICT safety rule standards in the BIG industrial plants and jobsites before we are even allowed to work there and this is what myself and millions of craft hands have been and still taught.

One thing i didn't notice in this thread ,maybe it was brought up because i mostly "breezed" through all the posts...
NEVER..i mean NEVER! use oil or grease ANYWHERE on a torch setup..gauges,torch,hoses,fittings....NOWHERE...it will ignite the Acetylene/Oxy like as if you put a flame to it,its not a Question of "IF" it will happen..it is a fact of "IT WILL HAPPEN".

Fire Arresters,or also called "Flash Arresters" are a standard on a torch setup and a MUST on any job i work anymore,they must be placed at the exit side of the regulators/gauges,not at the torch end.