Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - OXY~ACETYLENE !!!!! Safety!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

And what I am trying to point out is what is recommended by the all the manufacturers, such as that link to Victor which is one of if not the leader in torch/cutting gear, plus trade schools and every welding text you are likely to find. In all my years of doing this I don't think I have ever heard such a thing as one simple setting from an experienced welder, I mean good gosh man it is just basic and common torch skill! That one particular setting like that may be a decent number to use if the operator was limited to one such choice but as that chart (and many others) clearly shows any one setting would have to be a compromise in most situations so why limit yourself? Like I said if it works for you do it that way but for most people there is simply no reason to limit their tools to such a simplistic compromise when tuning the darn thing for optimum results is so simple, anyone using that chart will find it very easy and will quickly find they can do it by "feel" in just a very short time and the chart is really not something always needed as a reference. The chart is a handy way to get started but just as other techniques will need to be learned so does adjusting the regulators, it is just part of it and saying that one specific pressure setting is best for everything makes little sense because every situation is different. Actually a few lbs of Oxygen pressure makes a big difference in how well a torch will cut and I just can't imagine trying to use one without being able to tune it to whatever is best for what I am cutting, like I said that is just part of it. I guess if a person can not develop the skill for what is the right setting and don't want to bother with using a chart then maybe that simplistic approach is better than nothing.

Last edited by oldred; 01-08-2010 at 07:54 PM.