Oxy-gasoine cutting torch system - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I know, and I have yet to see type-T hose for propane in their catalogs or their website. I'm running 100 feet of hose now, and occasionally use ALL of it. I use mine for an awful lot of vehicle dismantling, and this setup they show wouldn't do what I have now without some extra hoses or something.

Advertisement

Last edited by M&M CUSTOM; 12-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

About 90% of everything concerning welding or cutting gases is snake oil with the purpose of lightening your billfold.

I've got a 5ft x 10ft burning machine and have done lots of burning in the 1/2" to 2" range, plus lesser amounts in thicknesses up to 6". Mine uses propylene which is similar to MAPP, but it doesn't really matter what the fuel gas is when you're burning because its cost is negligible compared to oxy cost and usage.

For example, a customer brought me a 24" circle of 5" plate one time. They needed a donut cut 18" OD and 8" ID on a quick turnaround. They had put the plate on a radial drill and gave me starter holes inboard of the 8" and outboard of the 18", so it was easy to start both cuts. Cutting those 2 circles emptied an almost full 300 oxy and a full 160 oxy, or about $75 worth of oxygen. Probably use $2 worth of propylene max.

I haven't done much burning in the last year or so, so I've changed to propane on the burning machine. No problems with the cost of propylene, but they won't sell a propylene tank so I end up paying about 15 bucks a month cylinder rent on a cylinder that may sit there several months before its used up. Propane requires more oxy for preheat as compared to acetylene or propylene, but the oxy use during the actual burning is identical as far as I can tell.

Bottom line though, the fuel gas cost is so low in burning, regardless of what gas you use, as compared to oxy cost, that fooling around with gasoline or any other unconventional fuel ain't worth the hassle IMO. If a person does a lot of burning, they can save more by buying liquid oxygen than they'll save in a lifetime of looking for cheaper fuel gases. At the time when I burned the donut above, liquid oxy would've cost me $35 instead of the $75 I spent on high pressure gas oxy. Liquid cylinders have a small constant loss though, and I never did enough burning on a continuous basis to justify it once I considered how much I'd lose on average. For someone buring for several hours every day, its the only way to fly.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Tube, I could not agree with you more and that is why I used Propane in my shop for most jobs but in a lot of cases Acetylene is a very necessary expense. Propane and Propylene don't work worth squat outside if there is any wind blowing, you can't weld with it and trying to use it with a gouging/grooving tip works just good enough to make a person mad! It is ideal however for heating and as you point out it is cheaper than Acetylene to cut with and for that it works just fine. I used a lot of Acetylene to gouge/groove with because of the carbon contamination caused by the Airarc process and although it was very expensive in fuel and especially Oxygen it was MUCH cleaner and somewhat faster to use the Oxy/Acetylene instead of carbon arc rods, liquid Oxygen saved a bundle in torch costs since this was done on a daily basis.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM
done

Last journal entry: ...
Last photo:

Last edited by JohnBer; 12-15-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Last photo:

I watched that guy do the demo and although he wouldn't let me try it (liability BS he said, ) I am convinced that it would indeed do a much cleaner job of cutting through really thick material. Even cutting through multi-layered plate looks much easier than with a conventional torch, JMO but I think this to be due to the flame delivering more heat farther downstream from the tip than a conventional torch. I am NOT saying the thing is actually hotter than an Acetylene torch (like some of them try to make you believe) but a few inches from the tip the flame could very well be hotter than the fanned out Acetylene flame at that point, but the Acetylene would be hotter at the tip. The Oxygen does the actual cutting but preheat has a very definite effect on how well it cuts so if the gasoline torch can deliver a hotter preheat flame farther down the material being cut then it would seem to have an advantage, this is however just speculation on my part about how it might work but for sure it cut through 6" steel cleaner than any hand-held torch I have ever seen!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.