OxySensor Fiasco - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Last journal entry: Do-It-All Buick Regal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
You are being an idiot. (And it won;t work) Just take the car to an exhaust shop and they will get the old sensor out for you.

Well, by you saying it can't be done is good reason to believe it can be done. Thanks for the 02 schooling though, just don't apply for a tech school teaching spot to brow beat the kiddies.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

OxySensor Fiasco

Would the voltage fluctuate that quickly? I can imagine fluctuating between readings given between 1000 degrees F and 1200., but in a closed loop idle, why such a quick fluctuation as mentioned. Yes, I am curious. That's how the human mind works sometimes. One thing I'm certain of, a muffler shop will never lay eyes on this car. Where's the learning process in that?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Get your 10 year old to fix your car for you.
He/she probably has more of a clue.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88
Get your 10 year old to fix your car for you.
He/she probably has more of a clue.

Ah, so you are a vocational school teacher. And I'm guessing 21 years old with a Haynes manual.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1
Would the voltage fluctuate that quickly? I can imagine fluctuating between readings given between 1000 degrees F and 1200., but in a closed loop idle, why such a quick fluctuation as mentioned. Yes, I am curious. That's how the human mind works sometimes. One thing I'm certain of, a muffler shop will never lay eyes on this car. Where's the learning process in that?
The learning process is the same as DIY neurosurgery... you learn that sometimes wishing and hoping you can do something still doesn't change the fact that you can't.

If you want it done right remove the damn manifold, then replace the sensor. If you were really about the learning process then that would have been done already.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Last photo:

That's not fair to the good voc school teachers who inspire young minds and build confidence.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
The learning process is the same as DIY neurosurgery... you learn that sometimes wishing and hoping you can do something still doesn't change the fact that you can't.

If you want it done right remove the damn manifold, then replace the sensor. If you were really about the learning process then that would have been done already.

I don't need to learn what it's like to drill out and heli-coil manifold bolt holes. Thanks for the offer anyways. I know there are mature mechanics on this board. Age has nothing to do with it, but stability helps.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:10 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1
The ECM is getting no feedback from an 02 sensor as it now stands and for the most part it runs just fine on the preprogrammed tables on the chip. Sometimes the engine light doesn't come on, but the fuel is rich.

What about a PWM to vary the voltage in the appropriate range? I think what you are talking about would be more critical on a wide band OBD2 system. As I said, I haven't had much reason to consider the workings of an 02 sensor in the scheme of things until now; weighing my options as it were - slanting towards something less "cheater bar" fashioned.
The problem w/"tricking" the ECM by feeding it a middle-of-the-road signal is the air/fuel ratio will be correct only a tiny portion of the time. I'm sure you could get the engine to run, and possibly run well enough that you don't kill it immediately- but the only sensible thing to do is remove the old one or weld a new bung and install a fresh sensor there.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The problem w/"tricking" the ECM by feeding it a middle-of-the-road signal is the air/fuel ratio will be correct only a tiny portion of the time. I'm sure you could get the engine to run, and possibly run well enough that you don't kill it immediately- but the only sensible thing to do is remove the old one or weld a new bung and install a fresh sensor there.

Thanks for the reply cobalt327. Yes, that is the sensible and desirable thing to do. This car is a work car. I mean very often pulling a half ton load. It works so well at doing it that my F-250 is still setting in the garage stripped down to a short block waiting to be fixed. As a journal note - The car is a clunker in most peoples eyes. I looks fairly good, but it has held up to very much and will be used as long as it doesn't take up too much time to maintain. If all else fails, cobalt327, I'll do the job right, when I get the time. Too busy to get too overly involved right now, but always time to consider things and experiment. I mean, it's a 1988 Regal and there are other things to be repaired, like the house, guitar, truck, bike, customer PC's. hence the need to get this car to pass inspection and repair better when time permits. I know if I end up pulling the head to repair broken manifold bolts and stuck 02 sensor, that will tempt me to do a total rebuild. Probably nobody but me can relate to that. Thanks a bunch for your sane and proper answer!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

When I get this PC job out the door and the rain passes over, I am going to get the beefier torch tip and give it another go, but I'm going to get some brazing rod too so I can legally drive it AND occasionally work on it till I get it in decent order. If time runs out on me before inspection, I'll slap the "Farm Use" magnetic signs on the door until I get a proper repair. hehe
Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

Oh, cobalt327, thanks for the analysis on tricking the ECM with a "middle of the road" voltage. Now THAT gives me something to chew on. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The O2 will change the a/f ratio VERY rapidly, it's far from stationary except at WOT. You'd be better off leaving the sensor disconnected than to feed the ECM false info. That's just not gonna work. If you can braze, just fit a new bung, seal off the old sensor and be done w/it. But w/o an O2 sensor working, ain't no way you're gonna pass inspection.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The O2 will change the a/f ratio VERY rapidly, it's far from stationary except at WOT. You'd be better off leaving the sensor disconnected than to feed the ECM false info. That's just not gonna work. If you can braze, just fit a new bung, seal off the old sensor and be done w/it. But w/o an O2 sensor working, ain't no way you're gonna pass inspection.

Here in WV, as long as the brakes, tires, lights, glass, exhaust are in tact with no body parts flapping in the wind; it will pass.
Hard to start and rough running engine raises no eyebrows. THANK GOD!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:55 AM

Last photo:

Back to work my friends.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

OxySensor Fiasco

By the way, this engine runs smooth much of the time; idles easy without the 02 connected, except sometimes pulling a heavy load it will run a little rough because of the rich fuel mixture I guess. Pull in to get gas and restart to a smooth idle, zippy take-off. Haven't had any plug trouble. All of this has led me to believe that this OBD1 system is not as finnicky as I originally thought. That's where the "fooling the ECM" idea came in. I thought I might join the idea of manually leaning out the fuel mixture and injecting HHO. Mind games.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.