P1400 EGRC Solenoid Valve Circuit Malfunction, 2001 Nissan Altima GXE, 2.4 L - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

P1400 EGRC Solenoid Valve Circuit Malfunction, 2001 Nissan Altima GXE, 2.4 L

I exhausted the checks on the EGRC solenoid valve circuit finding all wiring in tact and the solenoid valve of proper value around 30 to 35 ohms. I had to go to a Nissan dealer and measure the resistance of one off the shelf at the counter since I could not find it elsewhere. I was hoping that it would be significantly different from the 34 ohms of the one on my car. Not so!

Now, having exhausted the solenoid valve circuit itself, the only remaining prospects seem to be either the output stage of the ECM is not taking the EGRC solenoid coil to ground to turn it on, the proper input variables to the ECM not present, or the manner/logic/program in which the ECM produces an output is not taking place.

Having described this situation to the Nissan dealer technician, he related a virtually identical scenario and indicated that when they run into this, they have used more complex scanning tools than the simple code reader and do a rather extensive procedure which I could only do with the equipment which I donít have to do it. He deduced that it was either an ECM problem or some peculiar input issue.

If anyone has any advice on how to narrow this down any more, I have basically done the Factory Service Manual procedure which did not get into ECM or input issues at all.

The ECM sees the output circuit and I know it since I get a P1400 pending if I disconnect the EGRC solenoid valve without even running the engine and then do a READ. The ECM knows that the circuit is open circuited but it may not know if its own output transistor is not switching when told to do so which grounds the EGRC solenoid valve turning it on and shifting its valve spool when the other right inputs are received.

No advice here will be taken lightly! Itís either new ideas to try or off to the dealer. GEEZ! I hate when that happens. It seems like the cowardly way out but I just donít have the gadgetry to get much further. Iíd love to see the circuits for the ECM if they even exist. I do have the pinout information on the ECM but I canít tell what inputs actually have anything to do with the EGRC solenoid valve being taken to ground other than general ideas from this article similar to my problem which begins on page 3...ĒCASE STUDYĒ
http://www.vcertt.org/news/11-02.pdf

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Sounds Like o me that the ECM is bad, at this point. I was going to suggest a Re-Flash of the ECM to get the latest op strategy, but with it setting the code immediatley like you described, I would say the ecm has a bad driver ( semiconducter ) . Sounds like the dealer wants to milk you just a little before they sell you one.
I would suggest getting a reman ( not cardone) or getting it sent to an electronic repair facility and have it repaired.
You will want to list the symptom on the repair slip as you described it here as it will help them nail it down quickly and forge a good repair.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 PM

P1400 EGRC Solenoid circuit malfunction...

Thank you for following this thread and providing your comments. I'll play the thing by ear for a while before I take it to the Nissan dealer for milking, etc. The advice on ECM brands could be helpful if that's what it comes to.

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:07 PM

P1400 EGRC Solenoid circuit malfunction...

Cowabunga! I finally got P1400 to clear and no DTC's...system pass! Prior to accepting the prospect that the ECM may have been wounded, I got a P0400 which lead me to looking at the engine coolant temperature sensor. Since that was one of the inputs for the EGRC-solenoid circuit, I pulled that off the car and did the heated pan of water trick and found that the temperature vs resistance curve was not right according to the factory service curve. A new one only cost $12 but the new sensor more or less matched the same resistance as the one on the car. Since I didn't run a full curve on the new one, it may have been closer to the factory curve in other places than the old one which was quite shifted over the entire curve.

I don't know where the P0400 came from but when I checked the codes with P1400, P0400, and P1400 pending, after changing the temperature sensor, I proceeded to clear the codes again and the P1400 would not clear because the EGRC solenoid valve had finally open circuited and the ECM knew it as I had previously discovered.

This particular day when the car came home it was still hot from a trip from work. I checked the EGRC solenoid valve and it was open instead of being 33 ohms. Apparently the coil was opening when the car heated up and self-repairing every time I checked it any other time. I even removed it from the car and operated it directly on the battery to verify the air flow through the ports. It always seemed fine.

This may explain why the car seemed to be fine a month ago after a long trip when the coild was apparently was not opening when hot since the recent heat wave had not come into effect yet. I had been having P1400's then when it was cooler and when I removed and cleaned out the EGRC solenoid valve and replaced some hoses, I figured the problem was fixed because the P1400 went away and all I had then was a P0325, knock sensor which was easy to fix. The knock sensor failed by increasing its output voltage at idle which seemed amazing to me and implied that I had a constant knock problem.

Another trip to the Nissan dealer and $104 out of pocket for a new EGRC solenoid valve and the car now passes.

It will be really interesting to see if my gas mileage improves and does not cycle from summer to winter to the degree it used to do. I was always suspicious that there may have been a sensor problem since my other cars never cycled mpg from summer to winter to this extent. This Altima always liked it hot to get good mpg. Most other hotrodders always accused the winter gas formulations for this problem. That still may be the case. Time will tell!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

You gotta love intermittents. Good going

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.