PA legal questions regarding engine swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

PA legal questions regarding engine swap

Hey all, just found this wealth of info known as hotrodders.com and am i impressed! I'll quickly give a little about myself, mechanical engineer by trade i own a 1952 Studebaker truck, and 95 mustang convertible (others as well but nothing of note) i also have a pretty decent machine shop built in my garage.

For both my truck and mustang i plan on engine swaps (as in have engines and am in process, not just wishful thinking) . The truck doesn't seem like it will be much of a deal because of its age, but for my mustang I'm planning on putting a non-stock engine in it. I did a search and found some info but just looking for more up-to-date and clarification. My car is road legal as is, with current inspection, If i swap a different engine in there i know it should be re-titled as re-constructed, and i understand how to go through that painful process, but what i don't understand is where that is enforced, for the yearly inspection I've seen nothing that states "reject if engine is modified or one of non-stock type for model and year" in the inspection criteria. So how does it work? OK now lets assume I've gone through the re-titling and enhanced inspection...what would tell someone (inspector for example) that I've gone through all of this? I've been lead to believe that it may rely more on the police as in they are the enforcers...is this true?

Thanks for any and all input
dstrutt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

You are correct on the truck, it is old enough that an engine swap will have no consequences with the title or emissions. The Mustang could be a different story though. In part it will depend on you states inspection laws.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

what motor are you putting back in? newer?

from what i understand - the rules are pretty simple and you must still be able to meet any emissions requirements as the original motor / car. This includes proper engine management, OBDII compliance (if you car is now, or if its OBDI) 95 was right around the switch over.

I'm a BMW guy and we get into trouble when going to full stand alone ECU's in cars newer than 95, etc that don't have the emissions features of the stock ecu.

I'm lucky in the fact that mine is a 91, and was before OBDII existed. So its easy for me cause i can pretty much do whatever i want.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:02 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
You don't need change the title or worry about the vehicle safety inspection just because you changed the engine, when a dealer changes the engine in a car, you don't get a reconstructed title when you get your car back, if you live where emission testing is don you just need to pass the sniffer test.
Rich
Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

also, as an added bonus in PA - if you drive your car less than 5k a year you don't need to get emission inspection done (once you pass it the first time)

which for me means, no swaping cats in and out
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM

OK let me add a little more detail, I'm putting in a 87 460BBF so there wasn't gonna be OBD1 which my vehicle has, I'm going back in technology its gonna be carbed to start since it'll take less work to get it up and running, but I had planned on still keeping all other emissions systems EGR, PCV etc. I don't live in a county that requires emissions inspections, but my county does require a visual inspection of emissions equipment to make sure its still there, which is why I'm gonna make sure its there. Also I more than likely won't be going more than 5k as this is gonna mainly be a cruiser with some balls and the added day or two at the track of course...
Thanks so far guys, anyone done anything similar in PA that could add some insight?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.