PA "watch dog" bashing Classic car laws - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Rob Keller's Avatar
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!
 
Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Central Florida U.S.A.
Age: 48
Posts: 4,297
Wiki Edits: 38

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Exclamation PA "watch dog" bashing Classic car laws

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,6764958.story



Make sure to fill this guys inbox.






R

    Advertisement
__________________
"SlowRide66"

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,415
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 61 Times in 57 Posts
looks like an idiot that just tries to stirr stuff up to make his ratings.. he cought lots of flack arleady. http://blogs.mcall.com/watchdog/2008...uts-going.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:34 PM
C-10's Avatar
Revolution Calling
 

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashport, Ohio
Posts: 920
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just sent an e-mail to the person.

This is what was sent verbatim.
.
.
.

I'll keep this short and sweet.

A quote: "So the next time you pass a vehicle with an antique license plate, admire its novelty. But keep your distance."

And I will keep my distance from you while driving with your bluetooth earpiece and your sun visor lighted vanity mirror down while you 'primp' at the same time *texting* on your $600 qwerty keyboard cell phone.

You my dear, are a Moron. And your 'story' contradicts itself. You haven't a clue.

Last edited by C-10; 09-23-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
wildthing's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: chambersburg, pa.
Posts: 223
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
message sent ................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
CrashFarmer2's Avatar
Freezing in arctic Iowa
 
Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Iowa
Age: 57
Posts: 528
Wiki Edits: 409

Thanks: 54
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
I'm glad the press has no shortage of idiots. They keep things so interesting. The world would be such a boring place if everyone had the same point of view but the press seems to be so chocked full of idiots and it seems like they all have a warped view of the world. It's good for them, they hold quite a bit of power in this age of communication, they sway the opinion of millions. Too bad for the rest of us that they feel no responsibility of what their actions might bring. This person is just another one of those idiots.

I spend many hours of every week driving up and down public roads. Take it from someone who is on the road constantly, the person in the old car is a lot less of a threat to my safety than the rest of you morons. Let's face it, until medical science figures out a way to jack up your skull and inspect what your reactions are going to be for every given situation, we are all a danger to every other motorist out there. If you think you are the perfect driver and you have never made some stupid mistake behind the wheel I think you are being less than truthful with yourself. I figure that the only way the government can safeguard us from ourselves is to only allow one vehicle on the road at a time. That is the ultimate solution to death on the highway although it might be just a little bit inconvenient.

I believe that if you are driving your old antique vehicle you tend to be more cautious thus you are less of a threat to others. It is also my opinion that inspections ordered by the government are worthless. They only exist to make the bureaucrats look good and to raise funds for the government coffers. They will always be as good as the honesty of the people that give the inspections.

You are free to copy this and email it to that particular idiot. I will not waste my time doing so since it is my belief that if you argue with an idiot, when you get done they are still an idiot and you have just lost time that you will never get back.

Last edited by CrashFarmer2; 09-22-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 09-22-2008, 10:04 PM
C-10's Avatar
Revolution Calling
 

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashport, Ohio
Posts: 920
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2
I'm glad the press has no shortage of idiots. They keep things so interesting. The world would be such a boring place if everyone had the same point of view but the press seems to be so chocked full of idiots and it seems like they all have a warped view of the world. It's good for them, they hold quite a bit of power in this age of communication, they sway the opinion of millions. Too bad for the rest of us that they feel no responsibility of what their actions might bring. This person is just another one of those idiots.

I spend many hours of every week driving up and down public roads. Take it from someone who is on the road constantly, the person in the old car is a lot less of a threat to my safety than the rest of you morons. Let's face it, until medical science figures out a way to jack up your skull and inspect what your reactions are going to be for every given situation, we are all a danger to every other motorist out there. If you think you are the perfect driver and you have never made some stupid mistake behind the wheel I think you are being less than truthful with yourself. I figure that the only way the government can safeguard us from ourselves is to only allow one vehicle on the road at a time. That is the ultimate solution to death on the highway although it might be just a little bit inconvenient.

I believe that if you are driving your old antique vehicle you tend to be more cautious thus you are less of a threat to others. It is also my opinion that inspections ordered by the government are worthless. They only exist to make the bureaucrats look good and to raise funds for the government coffers. They will always be as good as the honesty of the people that give the inspections.

You are free to copy this and email it to that particular idiot. I will not waste my time doing so since it is my belief that if you argue with an idiot, when you get done they are still an idiot and you have just lost time that you will never get back.
Well said sir. The general populous has not a clue as to what what a car hobby 'is' let alone what a HOBBY is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM
C-10's Avatar
Revolution Calling
 

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashport, Ohio
Posts: 920
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Well, got a reply from the 'Watchdog'... aka 'The Morning Call'


Here it is:
.
.
.

I stand by my story. PA’s inspection law is flawed by allowing one group of car owners to police the condition of their own vehicles, and requiring others to subject to a paid third-party inspection. Any car that’s 25-years-old and up to manufacturer standards can get antique plates. That means I can buy a 1982 Datsun that’s in good condition now, let it rust in my driveway for 10 years and drive it back and forth to work each day if I can keep the engine going. That’s not right, and it does have the potential to be dangerous. It was not my intention to single out “classic” show cars. The column never uses the word classic. It uses antique, which is the PA licensing definition. Classic was a term used by the headline writer that shouldn’t have been used. The photo also shouldn’t have been used.


Paul Muschick
Reporter
The Morning Call
101 N. Sixth St.
P.O. Box 1260
Allentown, PA 18105
Office: 610-820-6582
Cell: 484-948-0426
Fax: 610-820-6693
paul.muschick@mcall.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
wildthing's Avatar
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: time flies
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: chambersburg, pa.
Posts: 223
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10
Well, got a reply from the 'Watchdog'... aka 'The Morning Call'


Here it is:
.
.
.

I stand by my story. PA’s inspection law is flawed by allowing one group of car owners to police the condition of their own vehicles, and requiring others to subject to a paid third-party inspection. Any car that’s 25-years-old and up to manufacturer standards can get antique plates. That means I can buy a 1982 Datsun that’s in good condition now, let it rust in my driveway for 10 years and drive it back and forth to work each day if I can keep the engine going. That’s not right, and it does have the potential to be dangerous. It was not my intention to single out “classic” show cars. The column never uses the word classic. It uses antique, which is the PA licensing definition. Classic was a term used by the headline writer that shouldn’t have been used. The photo also shouldn’t have been used.


Paul Muschick
Reporter
The Morning Call
101 N. Sixth St.
P.O. Box 1260
Allentown, PA 18105
Office: 610-820-6582
Cell: 484-948-0426
Fax: 610-820-6693
paul.muschick@mcall.com

thats the excate same reply i got.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 PM
C-10's Avatar
Revolution Calling
 

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nashport, Ohio
Posts: 920
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ha! go figure, 'one size fits all' replies. And 'one size fits all' reporting.

How lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 PM
curtis73's Avatar
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
 
Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carlisle, PA
Age: 41
Posts: 5,199
Wiki Edits: 16

Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here is what I wrote. I just sent it, so let's see if I get the same reply.

Quote:
Do you realize that you are immodestly ignorant of the truth about highway traffic safety? Statistically, states that require periodic safety inspections on vehicles are no safer than states that do not require them at all. You should have researched your article with the NHTSA instead of picking out one or two gruesome accidents, then making comments like "Luckily, debris from the blowout didn't injure anyone else." How compassionate. You're blatantly announcing your ignorance and that you could care less about the situation because you don't have an appreciation for historic cars. Therefore, you seem to have the need to cripple this deadly hobby because one motorcycle may have run over a nail and "tied up traffic."

Are you willing to foot the tax dollars for state-funded education that these mechanic/techs use to learn all about the millions of historic chassis configurations, or are you content with someone giving a sticker to a classic car without knowing how the systems work? Are you ready to require (and fund) an entire infrastructure just to police a miniscule percentage of highly pampered cars? Are you willing to live with the implications of wasting all of those resources when some of your neighboring states without annual inspections at all have lower fatalities per million population than Pennsylvania? Having lived in, and been in the automotive restoration business in four states (including PA), I can safely say that your ignorance toward classic cars has seemingly no end.

You are confusing legality and morality, and you are part of the fear-mongering conservative press. Your narrow opinion and absolutist attitude are at the root of the acidic misdirection this country is in right now; elitist, entitled, swine who fail to see beyond their own fanatical control issues. As a journalist you have a responsibility to your readers. Write what you want since you have that right as an American, but take responsibility for the America you help create with your words.

Luckily, debris from your article didn't get read by anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
1ownerT's Avatar
Home School Valedictorian
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa
Age: 53
Posts: 1,645
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just followed a late 30's Ford Slantback down the road at lunch time, no brake lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 PM
CrashFarmer2's Avatar
Freezing in arctic Iowa
 
Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Iowa
Age: 57
Posts: 528
Wiki Edits: 409

Thanks: 54
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I just followed a late 30's Ford Slantback down the road at lunch time, no brake lights.
I hope you admired it from a good safe distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:27 PM
curtis73's Avatar
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
 
Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carlisle, PA
Age: 41
Posts: 5,199
Wiki Edits: 16

Thanks: 11
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah... and is that something that would really be prevented by an inspection once a year? So you twist wires together for the 10-minute inspection and then you have 365 days to drive it like that.

Come on... that's why we have cops and friendly horns and middle fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
1ownerT's Avatar
Home School Valedictorian
 
Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Iowa
Age: 53
Posts: 1,645
Wiki Edits: 4

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2
I hope you admired it from a good safe distance.
That I did, very nice car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,840
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Here is what I wrote. I just sent it, so let's see if I get the same reply.

"and you are part of the fear-mongering conservative press."
There is such a thing as a conservative press?

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie seeking to network **********in the hot rod & classic car field Roadsong66 Introduce Yourself 6 04-24-2008 08:48 AM
a true story abount my first car chopperdave70 Hotrodders' Lounge 7 01-26-2008 07:13 PM
how would you make it legal?? spooki General Rodding Tech 8 08-31-2003 10:16 AM
Classic Car Insurance? PrimaDude Hotrodders' Lounge 13 10-27-2002 09:37 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.