Hot Rod Forum banner

Package tray/ rear shelf?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  bigdog7373 
#1 ·
Not sure what to call it, the piece of metal under the back window that the speakers sit in. Car is a 78 t/a. The metal is real rusty and separated. Does anyone know if i can get this as a new complete piece or will i have to pull it out and patch it up? Thanks in advance..:thumbup:

#3 ·
I have a 1966 LeMans that had the same problem. I don't think you'll find another package tray structure for yours unless you cut one out from a junkyard and weld it in yours. I left mine in place, ground as much rust out as I could. I treated it with Rust Mort and put a fiberglass overlay on it using three sheets of mat and resin. After it set up, I recut the speaker holes. The car has been finished for a while and this worked very well. Looks good with the vinyl covered tray with a series of little holes over the speakers. I don't know if there is enough metal left on yours. It worked for me and the tray cover solves any cosmetic issues.

Good luck.

Chris

After thought: It helped that the rear window was out.

#4 ·
Thanks, that's a good idea. I was figuring i'd have to take the widow out. Mine is rusted enough that it it separated and sagging. Looks like the rear window has been leaking for quite some time. I can get a picture tomorrow, but i think i will have to do some metal work to get the structure back. I like your idea of the fiberglass, I think I'll do that to strengthen it and shape it. I was hoping there would be a reproduction piece but i guess not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.